Lowered Floor Panels

bigron

I know they stopped making these in 2007 when they started to weld directly to the chassis but I'm hoping someone has some laying around to save me getting them made. 

I've always wondered how hard they'd be to DIY....can't be that difficult.....can it?

I thought the same. Did some investigation and actually not that easy. Here is a good thread where @Barry Ashcroft did it. 

I just removed the seat runner on drivers seat and made up a strip of steel which bolts seat directly to floor.

Lowered approx 20mm in height. 

Biggest benefit was much improved visibility through side screens and windscreen. 

Andy

I did this on my last car and to be honest, if you have the right tools it is easy enough. I got mine from Westfield but to make them would have been a piece of cake.

There are basically a flat sheet of steel with four folds in them. Any local fabricator would easily make them.

The reason that Westfield stop selling them is they had no control over the next bit, the fitting. I welded mine in properly, but to do that you had to loosen the sides to pull them away and then weld. A lot of people were simply pop rivetting in place which was not a good idea at all from a safety angle. There was then the mention that anyone altering the structure "could potentially" be open to problems if they were injured in a modified chassis.

I cannot see any issue if they were properly done, but could understand why Westfield withdrew them.

I might be wrong (my wife says I normally am) but didn't they do this on 'A Racing Car Is Born'?

If so there may be some footage of the original parts & how they were fitted.

Hmm, a while since I've watched it, but I think you might be confusing this with a Wheeler Dealers episode where they retro fitted a Caterham with the factory lowered floor kit on the drivers side. (I can't remember if they did the passengers as well)

6 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Hmm, a while since I've watched it, but I think you might be confusing this with a Wheeler Dealers episode where they retro fitted a Caterham with the factory lowered floor kit on the drivers side. (I can't remember if they did the passengers as well)

It's coming back to me now and I think you might be correct. Apologies :d

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.