New member (Sutton Coldfield) trying to buy a Westfield

Gordonwilly

Hello,

Been looking at Westfield's for a while now and finally decided to take the plunge before I really do get too old for one!!

Joined WSCC last week whilst trying to buy (unsuccessfully) a Westfield, so I'm looking again. I am new to Westfield Cars and am really looking forward to owning one.

I have read many posts, looked on many websites and looked at a few cars for sale. Someone recently posted that there is a bit of a ceiling at around £15,000 (unless it is very new), which I can see as being a reasonable assumption looking at what is for sale out there, or am I way off the mark?

So, I'm looking for a bit of guidance...

Sovereign Cars have what looks like a very nice V8 at a fiver short of £18,000, which seems very expensive (and out of my budget). Against others (DT Performance have a 2001 285bhp V8 at £14,995 and Toybox a 2004 V8 at £14,435) it does look expensive, but I just haven't got a feel for what a good Seight will be priced at (I know dealers will be more expensive, but £3-4k difference seems a lot) Also, there doesn't seem to be many under £14k!

I might end up looking at a 2 litre car as there seems to be more choice and they are a bit cheaper (I think), but the V8's are very tempting (especially as it'll be mostly road with the occasional track day)...

Anyone got any views or guidance, before I go searching in earnest?

As general guidance,  don't rush into buying.

I'm sure there's some club meets around Sutton Coldfield and you can get a seat from someone to understand the different options.  someone may be along soon from that area.

Also when you go an look at a car drop a note on here, there maybe some local on here who can look at the car with you

If you are available on the 26th May, drop into Curborough (near Alrewas and not too far from you). There's a group of us on a track day 

Wow, thanks for the responses so soon...I am looking at what comes available on the WSCC website. Good advice and I won't rush in (however tempted I am).

I am actually free on Friday 26th, so I'll come along. Thanks for the invite.

:ww:from Essex and good luck with the search!

Have you driven or been ina V8 - I'm not far from you and happy to meet up halfway so you can get a feel for what a sorted V8 feels like

• Like 1

Welcome from the north east.

As has already has been said. Dont rush into it. I must have looked at atleast a dozen before i decided. Some advuce that was given to me when looking was there will always be another not too far away just have to be patient. 

• Gordonwilly changed the title to New member (Sutton Coldfield) trying to buy a Westfield

:ww:

As above, patience, patience, patience.  We're happy to help, when you see a car you're interested in, put up a link in here and we will give our honest opinions.  One of us may even be available to go with you and look at it in person.

With Westfields it's less the age and much more the condition and love gone into it.  You can see a car full of expensive parts and owned and / or built by a muppet that will drain your bank account, or one that's clearly been loved and cherished - a binder full of paperwork and old tax discs is a pretty good clue.

Do not be tempted to buy a car you think you can spend a couple of thousand to upgrade - that way poverty lies.  Wait for the right car, it will come along.

However, as you're in Sutton Coldfield, old WSCC wisdom indicates you will find your ideal car not in the West Midlands but either at Land's End, Dover, or the Orknies :d - in other words, prepare to travel and get soaked driving it home.

Best of luck, joining the club was your best first step, well done. :) 

• Like 4

:ww: As said the right car will come along, but do come along to Curborough I'm sure you will get plenty passenger rides.

Andy

:ww: Hi from just down the road (Great Barr) I'm sure the right car will turn up, but as Andy said come to Curborough and have a good chat with owners and a few rides out , your options of what you want might change!! 

Andy

Yes please get a passenger ride. V8 false,  into two quite distinct categories. Very track focused super fast adrenalin hits like Andy and mine. Other types are really nice tvr type alternatives which are clear easy tourers but with grunt and wonderful noise. It would be good to know what you want from it. If you have never been in a westie be prepared with wind proof clothes and headgear and eye protection.  They are basic but fun :d

Hi,

Welcome to the club. I'm one of the AO's for your local Warwickshire area.

I'm not that far from yourself Just down the road in Tamworth.

We are having a track day at Curborough on May 26th although all the slots are booked.  You are more than welcome to come along and have some passenger rides in the different types to help make your mind up.

Please send a PM with your number and I will call you later today and have a chat.

Regards,

Steve

P.S. Yes the V8 sounds nice but my 2p ( for what its worth ) you need a much lighter well sorted  4cyc car ;-) lighter / faster / more agile ;-)

1 hour ago, Steven (WE51STE) - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

P.S. Yes the V8 sounds nice but my 2p ( for what its worth ) you need a much lighter well sorted  4cyc car ;-) lighter / faster / more agile ;-)

You've never had 6carjon following you in his V8 I suspect! :d

Never had the pleasure but I get the feeling he would be in front ( I'm more of Wing Commander Slow )

• Like 1