Stoneleigh 2017 - Well done WSCC

Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Agreed, a very good show.

However, I nearly spent much longer at the show than I intended. Stayed for the AGM, then set off walking to the (tintop) parking field, only to see the security man locking the pedestrian gates to the bridge which leads to the field, as I was approaching. I asked if he could let me through to get my car, but he told me the gates from the field onto the public road were already locked, so I wouldn't be able to get my car out anyway. After much pleading, he let me in and then walked right across the field to open the gate onto the public road, to let me out, which was good of him.

It is a lesson though, if anyone has come by everyday car, and isn't intending to camp over night, they need to get away from the AGM in time to get to their car(which can be a brisk 10 minute walk from the marquee) before 6.30 pm as the gates are locked "on the dot" of 6.30pm. 

Yeah great WSCC stand and cars as usual :)

It's rained here heavily in the night,and not stopped drizzling all morning.Hopefully for the Monday visitors it's dry at Stoneleigh? 

• Like 1

Yes great showing and effort by all of the WSCC crew as usual.

Stand out for me this year were..

Dave and Mike working solidly on the Chairman's car

The videos in the hall showing speed series runs always seem to have a little crowd watching and Martin, Graham, Panda  and others seemed to be talking to lots of new possible competitors.

Looked like a huge effort again from Cleggy and his team to put on a great choice of clothing. Seems to be more choice each year.

The green FW400 looked lovely

I thought that the show itself was quieter than usual.  A few regulars such as Hamilton classic I didn't see.  Nothing stood out as new other than the awful boxster / 911 creations and I see a new name was continuing the Dax Rush.  I did like the motorised shed outside though ;-)

I do always spend more time ogling over the Cobras than I should .... one year I may be tempted.

David

• Like 5

Very quiet today, and a very poor turnout of Caterhams.  Great work by the WSCC again though - well done all

• Like 3

A damned good show put on by the Westfield Company and especially by our WSCC volunteer members  -  as always, an excellent job!

Roger

• Like 3

You haven't wasted any time reverting to Captain, Captain.  Huge thanks for all you did for our club, Scott

• Like 6

Yes thank you Scott and also Mark who stood down this year.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the show and as usual the WSCC effort was top notch. As for the show!!

Well it was the usual and to me it felt on the Sunday not that well attended and it begs a few questions. If this is the industry showcase, does it show the industry in the best light?

When you look at the Stands, WSC was well staffed, laid out, as was Chesil, Auto Mirage, Ultima and no doubt a few more, but the rest? To me if I was spending big money would I do so with a stand that had been thrown together, with a few sweets and staff who looked disinterested? Regardless of how good the product is it too much to expect the company to spend a few quid on matching shirts, or to equip them with price lists and a desk to sit at to discuss things?

Years ago when I went to Westfield, there was a choice of cars to try, they explained they set them up soft so that a person and partner getting out of a Merc, would not be given a bone jarring ride, but they had a hardcore one if required. When looking at projects asking if they have a demo car to be told no is shocking.

In the latest Complete Kitcar magazine (with Tom's amazing car in it) the editorial mentions how some manufacturers still do not answer phones, do not reply to emails and then moan about the state of the industry, there have always been these companies but it is even more so now that the expectation is higher. A working and updated website is now an essential not an optional one for example.

I fear if the crowds do not come to Stoneliegh, the last show of its type, then where is the future for manufacturers and our hobby?

14 minutes ago, jeff oakley said:

I fear if the crowds do not come to Stoneliegh, the last show of its type, then where is the future for manufacturers and our hobby?

I say it every year but the balance of Stoneleigh seems wrong between existing car owners and clubs and manufacturers looking to attract new customers.

Personally I think £15 general entry is a bit too high when it is free for Kit Cars.

I would charge Kit cars £5 and include free camping if wanted and charge members of the public £10

Also I think they need some new attractions.  The Westfield drift experience is now a bit tired.

12 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

The Westfield drift experience is now a bit tired.

Well on Sunday the cars never stood still as demand was high for rides.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

I say it every year but the balance of Stoneleigh seems wrong between existing car owners and clubs and manufacturers looking to attract new customers.

Personally I think £15 general entry is a bit too high when it is free for Kit Cars.

I would charge Kit cars £5 and include free camping if wanted and charge members of the public £10

Also I think they need some new attractions.  The Westfield drift experience is now a bit tired.

If you read on other sites the answer to that will be "without us there is no show" and a reluctance to accept that shows cost big bucks to run. I would happily pay £5 to have my car there.  Yes the clubs are an intrinsic part of the day and maybe, there should be a run through a main ring with an example of the cars there, it works at tractor and steam rallies etc. This would help the public understand more.

Also we maybe need to include classic cars, or some form of demonstrations, at race retro they have a rally course so it is possible to do something to inject a difference.  

Really enjoyed my first visit to the event as a Westfield owner. Loads of ideas to improve my car and 'you lot' seem a friendly bunch! Look forward to getting involved.

• Like 5

I think the Factory, the drift cars and our club do a great job all round and there was public interest in Scott's car upgrade. So Westfield is fine.

I think the parts people are suffering from eBay inevitably but there are more three things that need fixing.

They are the other manufacturers, the pricing (probably) and the format of the show generally - it needs an upgrade IMO.

I had a great time though - got some bits I wanted and really enjoyed catching up with old mates (oh yes and the beer and barbeque too).  Big thanks to everyone who worked so hard at getting it to happen! :):):)

• Like 5