Has anyone had any success getting an insurance valuation?

Martin#30

Hello all,

I have recently bought my first kitcar (not a Westfield I'm afraid) and after much research, decided to ensure with Footman James. Being a one-off kit built at great expense by the original builder, I wanted an agreed valuation that would mean it is insured for what it would cost to realistically replace.

All good, FJ agreed to insure at a sensible (in my view) agreed valuation, until all the policy docs come through. No mention pre-policy, but now I have to get an independent valuation completed. I have questioned them, and got the 'sorry we did not mention it, but yes you have to' response.

Anyone know of a company/club that will do this?

I have read the various threads on here, including the one where this club was considering offering such a service, and I now understand this to be quite the minefield. I will ask the original manufacturer (RoadRunner Racing), but to be honest, I cannot see why they would want to devote time and liability to this unless there was a good fee to be earned.

So, anyone got any recommendations?

Martin.

I can't help with the independent evaluation but I have insured my car with both Adrian Flux and A Plan and they both offered an agreed valuation service, for a small fee and the provision of 7 photographs. Both confirmed the valuation I suggested based on the description and photos I provided (the more in depth the better).

So I'd suggest trying a different provider...

Can't help with valuation but interested in more details of the car.  An LS powered seven sounds fun

David

50 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

Can't help with valuation but interested in more details of the car.  An LS powered seven sounds fun

David

Oh it is. I shall find a way to put something up, presume there is a member's cars section somewhere. 

In a nutshell though, it could best be described as a barely contained engine, mixed with lots of noise, stones and flies in the face, many & frequent steering corrections, more noise, a lot of chuckling to ones-self, a constant sympathy for the prop-shaft and diff, and a deep, deep respect that somebody was mad enough to decide to build this in the first place. 

@BCF thanks for the reply. I don't really want to cancel FJ and insure elsewhere quite yet, but I am beginning to realise additional questions I should have asked when selecting an insurer .....

Martin. 

what gearbox and diff are you using?

My brother asked Westfield to build an LS engine chassis but they weren't interested.

A shame as I would have thought a great alternative to the old Rover V8

2 hours ago, XTR2Turbo said:

what gearbox and diff are you using?

Gearbox is a Tremec TR6060, which I understand to be an option used on standard LS cars. It is the hardest bit of the car to package in my opinion, it is huge and needs a narrow pedal box area to cope. On the plus side, it and its corresponding clutch, should be bulletproof. 

The diff is an MX5 diff, with the mounting ears strengthened by RoadRunner. I believe it will be fine, to be honest it spins the wheels long before all 400lb/ft could reach and break the diff. 

I think the engine would fit in a Westfield chassis quite easily, with custom engine mounts. It is not significantly longer than a four cylinder, and the head width fits fine with exhaust headers exiting higher than normal. Intake is on top of the engine, so would need a V8 bonnet. I think the box would be the challenge though, I think the trans tunnel framework would need significant tweaks. 

Can take some engine bay photos if you would like, or weather permitting, the car will be around on Sunday for stoneleigh. 

Martin. 

• Like 1

Yes I looked into the LS before I went to the current engine. It will fit and with a t5 transmission it is OK but the tremec is the problem with width. Not sure it's been done yet but no doubt it can with ingenuity this club is famous for :)

An LS with tremec was built but not finished due to width issues but the getrag from a jaguar xjs is a fit for LS engines apparently.

As for agreed valuation as others said with A plan and 7 photos it is OK. 

Cheers jon

• Like 1

All I did with my Westfield was to send several pictures and let them decide. I suspect that your problem will be it unique spec, so I would just add up all receipts and then estimate how many yours it took to build at say £30 per hour. That will give a ball park figure.

Then get the manufacturer to agree your figures and be prepared to be shocked. All they look at is if the car was a total loss how much would they pay out, if they are happy with your figures they will agree.

I would be surprised if any manufacturer would charge anything for a letter along those lines.