Blyton Park Eastern Circuit - Any advice?

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

I am thinking of doing the Eastern Circuit at Blyton Park and wondered if there is anything I should particularly do or not do. It looks quite a difficult circuit, for me as a beginner anyway.

Thanks in advance

Julie

It's a brill circuit for a beginner as it's a small circuit so easy to learn. Just drive at you own pace which you are comfortable with, not too slowwww as you won't get a buzz. Don't try and drive as fast as others as you will quickly come out of your comfort zone and you might not enjoy it as much.

Listen to the briefing as it's all good info.

Westy drivers are very accommodating and will stick to the overtaking as per the briefing so safe as eck.

Good luck and enjoy

Terry

• Like 1

Hi Julie

I would say it's not too difficult, the inner section has some technicality to it but nothing you won't find on every other circuit in the country. It's a really good venue for a first trackday, seems to attract good folk.

If you're nervous, try to get out early while everyone is finding their feet. It also helps to pop a novice sticker on the back of your car so people know to give you time and space (these can actually be bought from Blyton, but also online, black x on yellow backing).  Keep an eye on your mirrors and move over to let faster cars past, but hold your line through corners - no-one should be overtaking on any corners even if the car in front is a lot slower, moving over or leaving gaps only seems to encourage idiots to be stupid, so just hold your line until you're on a straight, then indicate and move over.

As Terry says, definitely DO push it! Mazda's are made for getting a little loose, so keep going until you get sideways!

Hope you have a great time, look forward to your thoughts.

Barny

• Like 1

Assume this is before WSCC trackday?

As above. Eastern doesn't flow as well as outer imo, more tech through centre. If there's tuition take it up as early as possible in day and you'll progress quickly.

From what I've seen your not a slouch on road so sure you'll be fine.

• Like 1

I did the Eastern Circuit yesterday. Thank you for the good advice. @Terryathome I did come out of my comfort zone, it was quite easy to do, just by going too fast (for me). @BCF I got good at keeping my line before letting the others pass, and they were well behaved, except for the Radical, that was just too fast for the type of cars out there. I pushed the MX5 though and it behaved impeccably, I am amazed how much fun they are to drive.  @Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO I took your advice and booked some tuition, they gave me the 11.30am slot. It worked out well because I went out on my own in the morning and got used to the circuit, I gave the blue cone on a Curve Grande a funny look because I couldn't work out what it was there for. After my tuition, I had all afternoon to practice, and, guess what, now I was heading straight for that cone and using it to know when to brake.

My tyres did funny things by the end of the day, these are the 14 inch Nankang NS2R's

DSC00335.JPG

With the instructor

DSC00324.JPG

The first corner, Chapman's is blocked off from the normal way, with white blocks, and now it comes right back on itself, I was OK with that, K7 was hairy because it is so tight. Trubshaw's is easy and fast, lovely round Curva Grande, keeping left towards the blue cone, brake and into the dreaded Wiggler. The Wiggler is another very tight bend of which you are facing the wrong way as you go into it, and you have to get round the other way, not easy, kiss the yellow apex on your left and you might just miss the big yellow bit on your right. Bishop's, fine, Bunga Bunga, lovely, then very fast through Port Vite. That just leaves Ushers to the right and Twickers to the left, trying not to mount the yellow humpy bit as you go off again.

This circuit is good for me because I like twisty bit's and it definitely challenged me, I didn't get to find out the top speed of the car, but I did find out that it wham's around corners without any problem. Mechanically, I had no problem, which I can't believe. I have just bought a standard 27 year old car, put some hoses, belts, fluids and tyres on and it has coped with it. I bet it is fun in a Westfield though.

In contrast, I drove home like little miss daisy in her retro car, made me laugh though, I hadn't reached Gainsborough and suddenly I am constantly yawning and then the hunger pangs hit my stomach. I was in bed at 8.30pm.

@tkm_dave it was great to meet you and good luck with the car at Anglesey next weekend. Here are the pictures that Glen promised you.

DSC00320.JPG

DSC00321.JPG

• Like 2

So glad you've enjoyed it. Did you let Glen have a go?

:d I thought you might ask that after our conversation on Saturday, the answer is yes, he had a little go. Pee'd me off, I had been building my speed up, he jumps in the car and straight away goes 10mph faster than me on Port Vite on his first lap. Huff.

• Like 4