SpeedSeries event feedback

Terry Everall

I have heard rumours that some events ....e.g. Croft and Hethel had early finishes and only offered 2 practice and 2 timed runs. The committee would like feedback on each event regarding value for money in terms of runs and price etc so now is your opportunity to tell us what you think

I will start off by saying that I heard Croft may have finished at 1500hrs after only 2 practice and 2 timed runs. Even the top run off for British Sprint finished at 1530 so another run would have been easy surely

I was disappointed in only having 2 runs, I felt I could of nearly achieved the target time if I had been given another run, it was dry as well which was annoying, I felt it was an expensive day with only 2 runs. 

I agree with the above , I think finishing so early was poor when a third run could have run . The spectators also can't under stand why the meeting finished when they had paid to watch

Not good value, poorly organised and priority (with the determent to the others), given to the top 12 or so cars.  There seemed to be a lot of confusion as to whether or not a third run would take place, originally announced there would be a third run then it was just top 12 run off.  From what I picked up from around the paddock, not much different to last year.

A good venue, poorly executed, not keen to go back on this basis.

2 hours ago, John Hoyle said:

I agree with the above , I think finishing so early was poor when a third run could have run . The spectators also can't under stand why the meeting finished when they had paid to watch

bl**** hell! I'm in shock! Have you seen who wrote this!

• Like 1

Hopefully the msa read this, as well as organising clubs. Everyone needs to improve the value for money at these events as the Javlin meetings hold significantly more appeal to me at the current time, and i have been competing on and off for over 20 years. 4 laps of croft or 7+ laps at Javlin events, and some better venues imho, Snetterton 300, Cadwell Park....

• Like 2

Yes Hethel was the same. 2 practice runs and first timed before lunch, then 1 final timed run and finished and heading home by 3.00pm 

A real shame as B19 run a great event and Hethel is a fantastic venue and it was a beautiful day, just poorly written regs on B19's part only allowing 2 timed runs to count. ( well at least that's how I understand it ) 

I believe Rockingham was a similar story ? 

This doesn't sound good.

Are we beginning to see a theme here, Hope not.

Its not some new directive from the MSA is it?  Its always been a minimum requirement to have 2 timed runs but have they now stipulated something else to the organising clubs that we are not aware of.

Hopefully just bad luck or bad organising on the day and things will get better as the season progresses.

I totally agree that value for money needs to taken in to account. These events are going to lose support if they carry on like this.

Ian

• Like 2

17 hours ago, terry everall said:

I have heard rumours that some events ....e.g. Croft and Hethel had early finishes and only offered 2 practice and 2 timed runs. The committee would like feedback on each event regarding value for money in terms of runs and price etc so now is your opportunity to tell us what you think

I will start off by saying that I heard Croft may have finished at 1500hrs after only 2 practice and 2 timed runs. Even the top run off for British Sprint finished at 1530 so another run would have been easy surely

The only event I've done this season so far has been the LDMC Anglesey event which was fantastic VFM. However, if there is time, more runs should always be allowed. Some clubs are bad at this and others are good. It is the CoC's decision who normally decides unless the event regs prevent more runs. Our own Blyton event last year fell foul of this due to the CoC's decision and MAC run events are particularly bad due to the wording in the regs

Hi all, sadly it was the same at Rockingham, a well put together event with smooth operation, but done before 3pm with enough time for another run.

Really feels like the MSA have an underlying motive to kill off sprinting. 

Javelin event was just as well organised, just as well managed and showed a much better consideration for the paying customer than any MSA event I've done. Same paddock banter & support (albeit different people) and same feeling of competition, just better.

Have to agree, I think the main down side of the (MSA) events is the minimal amount of track time you get.

Number of Laps

It should be possible to fit in 2 practice, proper practice not 1 standing start and twice round the track, and 3 timed runs as an absolute minimum.

Then once the official runs are completed they should allow people to keep queuing up for as many timed fun runs as they can fit in before they have to close the track. We have to hang around for an hour or so waiting for the results to be confirmed anyway so why not allow people to play while the paper work is being done.

I also think there is often far to much time wasted with the gaps for setting people off, so time could be made up here for additional runs.

Also I've noticed the start time of the 1st car to get out on track seem to be getting later and later, I believe the javelin sprints have a much simpler scrutineering process, maybe this is an area that could be sped up and allow earlier starts and more time on the track.

Lap Length

Some tracks (maybe not part of our championship) like Silverstone Stowe are very short, these should be run as 1.5/2 lap events not 0.75 lap events as lap length also has a bearing on value for money.

Prizes

Its great having TSL at some of the events who provide some great extra timing features like 0-64ft and Finish Line MPH. Maybe this information could be made use of and some recognition of "best launch" or "Heaviest Right Foot" awards?

Photos

A lot of amateur football clubs pay a photographer a set fee for the game, then all the players get "free" copies of the photos included as part of their subs. Maybe the same could be done at sprints, we wouldn't need them for the whole day as most people would be happy getting a couple of shots from just the timed runs since that's when they are really trying. The pictures should be included as part of the entry fee instead of having to pay another £15 on top.

Thats my lot :o

• Like 1

Totally agree with Marto about Hethel. I understand that sometimes it is down to poor wording of regs stating "2 timed runs" and not "at least 2 timed runs" along with some championships, unlike WSCC SS, stating only 2 timed runs are to count.

Poor value compared with some events and with Javelin.

Keith

The 'only 2 timed runs' thing baffles me, what's the reasoning behind limiting to exactly a given number as opposed to setting a minimum? It can't simply be an error as the majority of clubs who do it have the same regs year in year out.

I know that on the whole it's a volunteer's hobby organising these events and without those volunteers we would have next to no motorsport to participate in, but with the MSA causing issues for many competitors with ROPS I'd have hoped clubs to be pushing like crazy to give competitors value for money. It seems some are still (/increasingly?!) focussed more on heading off at 3pm. Whether we/event organisers like it or not, the cards are stacking in favour of organisers like Javelin for the future of club sprinting.

In fairness regarding the part lap vs multiple full laps topic, from experience the best value days in terms of numbers of runs are without doubt the part lap ones. Cars can leave the line at 20-30s intervals all day long without a need to wait for competitors to finish their full laps before more cars are let on circuit. A perfect example is that LDMC tried a new 2 lap layout at Anglesey, I think we barely got one timed run! Needless to say, that layout was scrapped immediately :)

7 minutes ago, tkm_dave said:

In fairness regarding the part lap vs multiple full laps topic, from experience the best value days in terms of numbers of runs are without doubt the part lap ones. Cars can leave the line at 20-30s intervals all day long without a need to wait for competitors to finish their full laps before more cars are let on circuit. A perfect example is that LDMC tried a new 2 lap layout at Anglesey, I think we barely got one timed run! 

Very true, on the lap length it depends what track as Anglesey 1.55 mi (I think) where as Stowe is only 0.8 mi which we only did 75% of, so I doubt I'll be going back there. Not sure if there are similar short tracks in the WSCC SS.

If Javelin start doing hills, it's game over...