Josh Lawson

I have standard wheels with a 205,50,15 tyres on at present... can I just switch to 195, 60, 15 for the price and how much will it affect the car? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Well you'll increase the diameter of the wheel/tyre combination by 29mm., so increasing the ride height by 15mm. approx.

That will increase the circumference of the tyre by 91mm., so if your speedometer was accurate before the change, it will marginally under-record afterwards, and your overall gearing will be marginally higher.

The difference is just under 5%.

Why not go for 195/50x15", or 195/55x15"? The former will reduce your ground clearance by just 5mm., and lower your overall gearing by just 1.7%, and the later would increase your ground clearance by 4.75mm, and increase your gearing by just 1.6%.

If you were wondering what change it would make to the road holding and feel, then it depends a bit on what you use the car for. For road use I doubt you would notice the difference, and actually the choice of make and model of tyre would make much more difference. If you want to change to a 195 width tyre for cost reasons, I'd have a look at what is available in 195/55x15" tyres, as they would be closest in rolling radius to what you have at present.

Be aware the the tyre will be closer to the wheel arches.  May be more awkward to fit the front wheels but certainly do able.

Thank you all for your thoughts, to summarise, 195/205 makes no real difference on the rim, but are ok?!

the biggest difference is the profile, and 195/55/15 is probably the Best To go for.

many thanks, Josh