Going to the dark side............

Andy - a15cro

This time last year, I was repeating the samelib]ne quite a few times "I don't do tents"..........a year down the line I'm thinking of buying something to use for the kit car show, and possible other track/car events, whilst having a very loose browse in Go-OUTDOORS my daughter has decided she fancies giving camping a go, and possibly will be coming to Stoneleigh with me this year. I've spent a bit of time looking at the wide selection of tents available, I need to stand up, I like space (Kingster spoilt me with his last year). A friend has recommended a Vango, I've also looked at the Hi-Gear stuff, I'm open to suggestions as I quite frankly have not got a clue!

Whatever you buy, make sure you remember to take it with you. 

10 minutes ago, RussH said:

Whatever you buy, make sure you remember to take it with you. 

Worthwhile advice..........

• Like 1

Whatever you buy, do a dry run first. I have seen more arguments with couples erecting their tents for the first time.

We have a camper van but last year I bought a blow up awning to avoid the first day arguments trying to put up a poles awning... if   An inflatable tent is in budget I'd recommend. 

Decathlon have budget blow ups that look ok.

Efficient erecting are very important :p

All great advise to consider thanks. My wife wont be going anywhere near it, and she's made that point quite clear, so its me and my 12yr old daughter who will be putting it up, taking it down and stopping in it, until she gets bored of the novelty, then it will be just me but with plenty pf space to spread out! 

All my tents choices have been made on ease of erecting. Imagine turning up at campsite and it's peeing it cats and dogs!

So - Outer first or preferably inner & outer at same time. Ally poles, fibreglass do not push in as smoothly. Tunnel style easier to put up Geodesic sturdier.

& a poor tent put up well good is better than a well good tent put up poor!

Im now starting to look at inflatable! This kit car show is going to cost me a fortune! No carbon fibre aeroscreens for me this year, but I will probably have a tent...........

No experience of air tents, but we've looking that route for T5 awning, as Damper man. Appear easier, but probably not as quick to put up.

Bought a three man tent from Blacks for my first Le Mans trip back in 1999. Folds up small, can be erected single handed... just... and because there was only ever going to be two of us living in it there was a decent amount of space. Don't underestimate the value of having a "porch" at each end too. Keeping stuff out of the living space, especially wet stuff, is really nice thing to be able to do, and not having to crawl through "stuff" on the way in and out of the living space is also really good.

Oh yeah, the tent has survived about a dozen Le mans trips with zero pole failures and no rips or leaks. They don't do it any more but it is nominally similar to this:

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/246610-berghaus-grampian-3-person-tent-dark-green.html

I camp probably 10 times a year with the speed series and the scouts.

as blatman said have one with a porch; does your daughter want to share a tent or have some privacy?

The vangos are what we use as the scouts tent;

a few of the leaders use http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-banshee-300-tent-p140013?gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFyWsLO9GBlpId09rmulN0eKdvQcU2fP0ztxWSGbbBuBoCrcDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

for racing I have (the 4 man version of) https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-iii-pop-up-tent-3-man-green-id_8347887.html but the folded bag is too big for the Westfield (very big Circle) decathlon gear has been very good.

also have (when camping longer than 2 days) I use this http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/255772-vango-beta-450xl-family-tent-green.html

I always choose the 4 man as I like to use a camping bed.

we are looking for another family tent https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-42-family-tent-4-man-id_8294503.html

cheers

Panda

So far I've looked at this as far as air beam tents go http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/airgo-stratus-400-tent-p396453, also at the 600 (which is my daughters choice).

shes happy to share but I want a divide in so we can have our own space, and these have a zipped one.

porch.......both are available with porches which I think would be handy as they offer a bit more space in the entrance and some weather shielding.

she would have had me buy it today, but I'm a bit cautious these days shelling out a load of cash like that. I like to research first.

not done air beam tent but they seem to be popping up! :d

never done an electric car; but they are the future too..

+'ves I like the sewn in ground sheet, and there is an inner and outer tent, you can stand up in it.. and best "light-blocking fabric to stay dark"

-'ve trusting scouts with knives and an air tent, like putting a porcupine on a water bed.

• Like 1