flappy half hood !

Yanto

As seen here @Applecross ....

FB_IMG_1492112876357.jpg.076ca0c550ed3c9838d7c6390d9af7fe.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

Doesn't look tight enough to me!

My straps are fixed to rear panel and pull  hood more towards rear

I could relocate the fittings to the bodywork rather than the roll bar struts, but i don't think that will have much effect, i say that because the holes in the hood for roll bar bolts (RAC bar with rose joints) are pulled back as far as they can go.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the windscreen is raked back too far, but to confirm that i would need to compare the distance from screen to roll bar on a car with the same set up. If they have a half hood that is taught that would be a bonus! So, if I'm seen at Stoneliegh looking furtive with my tape measure you'll know what I'm up to.

Ian

You may well be spot on! 

I fiddled with mine as didnt want to fix them to the rear of the car but found it didnt hold tension very well. I made some roof rods from tent poles and in the end , thought sod it and mounted at the rear and it pulled the hood taught.

58f088421172f_281HalfHoodFitted.thumb.jpg.df990ef3825339cfab2a7761ec1cffbe.jpg

It's a question of equalising the air pressure over and under the hood.  Have you considered putting a few vent holes in the top of the hood?  That would probably stop it flapping about so much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scott Young - WSCC Chairman said:

few vent holes in the top of the hood?

Doesn't that reduce the water barrier potential somewhat?

Just now, CraigHew said:

Doesn't that reduce the water barrier potential somewhat?

Not if you drive fast enough.

• Like 2

I added some further straps to mine which I attached to fittings on the roll bar stays and to the bottom of the windscreen pillars. Together with the poles from roll bar to windscreen my roof has proven to be pretty good.  I have since added zips to both roof and the top of the doors to seal and firm it up even more.

It's meant a bit of work getting it to this stage but I'm happy with the outcome.

I'll see if I can upload some photo's later today.

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne, that looks very secure and professional.

Did you do the sewing of the attachments yourself?

Could you do me a huge favour and measure the distance between your roll bar and windscreen (nearest edges)?

Cheers

Ian

The credit for the stitching has to go to the missus, the additional straps were made from webbing bought from B&Q together with buckles.

I'll get the measurement for you later today (westy garaged elsewhere) if I remember rightly there's a set distance for setting up the rake of the windscreen measured from the chassis at the rear of the seats, if I can find that distance as well I'll include that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yanto said:

Thanks Wayne, that looks very secure and professional.

Did you do the sewing of the attachments yourself?

Could you do me a huge favour and measure the distance between your roll bar and windscreen (nearest edges)?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

From the outside edge of the windscreen to the centre of the roll bar I get 1010mm on one drivers side and 1020mm on the passengers.    :blush:

The measurement from the top of the windscreen to the chassis at rear of the seats is approx 965mm.  Hope this helps. 

Cheers Wayne

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne, I'll do a comparable check tomorrow.

Many thanks for your help,

Ian

mine pats me on the head every 1.6 seconds at anything above 36m,ph. Joy
Looking at a B&Q solution with some collapsible poles

• Like 2

I'm currently working on a set of roof poles and I've found some aluminium tubing in homebase, the 8mm tube fits perfectly into the 10mm tube so I can make a tent pole style joint. I'm also thinking about putting elastic through the middle to hold it all together. I'm just working on the clips I've turned up some scrap bits of tube to fit onto the windscreen clips I've made and found a plastic armoured cable cleat that fits the role bar. I'll put up a few pictures later for what I've come with so far 

• Like 1