flappy half hood !

Yanto

Last night I thought I would try the half hood out just to see what it was like.

Well it flapped about a bit, even with the locating straps as tight as I dare have them the top was drumming, do other user's have the same problem? Is there a way to stop it, e.g supports from screen to roll bar, and if so how have people located them?

Cheers

Ian

Most have this issue with 1/2 hoods AFAIK. Although mines not too bad until nearing 70mph when cranked up over my MSA ROP, I had to shorten straps due to initial stretching of hood.

@marcusb and @W Shep have effective solutions (posted elsewhere)

Basis is extendable bars between windscreen and ROP.

3 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

I had to shorten straps due to initial stretching of hood

You sure it stretched that much? or did you pull the windscreen inwards with the hood being so tight?

Mine sags down on to my head when stationary but pulls up at speed, can't say it 'flaps about' though, even at 70 plus. A pair of home made bars from the screen to the roll bar stopped the sagging.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

You sure it stretched that much? or did you pull the windscreen inwards with the hood being so tight?

Strap adjustment was on limit at first fitting (should have fitted it myself even if fitment was free!) So only slight stretch of hood meant shortening straps.

28 minutes ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

Mine sags down on to my head when stationary but pulls up at speed, can't say it 'flaps about' though, even at 70 plus. A pair of home made bars from the screen to the roll bar stopped the sagging.

Martyn, can you describe or photograph the attachment you've used, especially at the screen which i guess fits between the plastic channel and the hood material?

Shame you didn't ask me last Sunday as I could have shown you!

The material I used was 13mm diameter alloy tube flattened at each end and shaped to fit over the plastic channel of the hood and the roll bar. I curved the bars a little to improve clearance and drainage but you may not need to do that with the RAC roll bar. The hood holds them in place when fitted.

image_zpsrrjhh1r9.jpg

image_zpsrrjhh1r9.jpg

image_zpsrrjhh1r9.jpg

I've bought a couple of these...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arp100-hiking-pole-blue-id_8355380.html

Cut to length with similar attachment to windscreen and ROP. They'll collapse for easier storage.

• Like 1

Ooh, I like that idea Dave.

I used fixed (plastic broomstick handles) for mine, work really well, but only just fit in the half hood bag, making it a bit bulky. Collapsible would be handy.

To fit them in the hood bag mine separate in to shorter lengths too! (the tubes were used to support a roll up advertising display previously) 

1 hour ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

To fit them in the hood bag mine separate in to shorter lengths too! (the tubes were used to support a roll up advertising display previously) 

I knew those advertising display tubes I have brought home from work would find a use one day. Brill idea. The last use was a gutter rake.

"Flappy Half Hood" sounds like the name of an old blues singer.

2 minutes ago, Scott Young - WSCC Chairman said:

"Flappy Half Hood" sounds like the name of an old blues singer.

And this is what he looks like.

Flap!

3 hours ago, Yanto said:

And this is what he looks like.

Flap!

Doesn't look tight enough to me!

My straps are fixed to rear panel and pull  hood more towards rear