Go Pro cameras

John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

I'm possibly looking for an onboard camera and I'm thinking Go Pro. What model is best for this and where is the best place to buy?

Thanks

Had too many frustrating experiences now to recommend a gopro. Going to search for an alternative, if you find some good recommendations first let me know :)

• Like 1

I bought an SJCAM M20 for skiing this year - and am certainly not disappointed for the money (£79 from China) - even with a Bluetooth wrist trigger (essential), a spare battery and a case, it was under £115 delivered. It has an effective gyro and works well at 1080P 60fps - not tried it in the car yet, but I expect it to be pretty decent. I think it's the same unit that is also sold as Olfi in UK. The only negatives are sound (can't take an external mic) and short battery life (45mins typical) but a spare battery is literally a few pounds.

Currently £90

Thanks for the 2 suggestions so far. I cant tell from the descriptions if I need anything else to attach it  to a cage. Either of you know please?

The SJCAM certainly comes with a large pack of mounts, including a 2- piece clamp that will fit 38mm tube and various adaptors for correcting angles.

• Like 1

The AKASO EK7000 has all the attachments Included .. and one for a 38mm cage but it is a little tight... you can get more robust mounts off a very friendly selling web site for about £3...

the benefit of this unit is that it includes two batteries plus there is an app that you can link the unit to your phone so downloading of the footage is easy...

Used the GoPro for a couple of years now along with Smart Remote and never had a problem tbh. Experimented with a few skeleton housings then settled on a metal cage type which can be tethered, a couple of Circular Polariser Filters for really bright days and footage has been great.

Each to their own I guess

Go Pro's still the leaders in quality footage even though are shrinking in size, you only need a budget version  https://www.johnlewis.com/gopro-hero-session-camcorder-8mp-bluetooth-wi-fi-waterproof-black/p2719586  4k. version not necessary and would eat up memory storage.

I've been using a Garmin Virb Elite for a few years which has inbuilt gps, g-sensor etc so you can add track maps, lap times, speedo etc and came with a remote. I've been really pleased with it except for the sound, you can get an external mic for it but i cant get it to work.

I've also just bought a cheap 360 degree camera its an EleCam 360 which I also used at Rockingham, along with the regular camera. The Elecam 360 is a little temperamental and a faff to get the videos over to YouTube but really cool! 

Garmin Virb Elite

Elecam 360 ***Jump to 4:20 as i forgot to edit the video***

I've got a go pro John and it's good quality but have had a few frustrations with it.

Mainly around remembering to switch the bl**** think on before a run.

i have a couple of Dog Cam cameras I could part with but you would need a recorder to plug them into. 

I really rate my GoPro Hero 4 Silver. Having zero experience with any other camera I cant make any comparisons but I can say the editor is so easy to use and even a person who is crap on computers and has no editing experience like myself can bang out a half decent vid.

Thanks all. Some food for thought. Some good and bad recommendations for GoPros. At the price they are if I bought one and it misbehaved I would be a bit p******** :laugh:

^ this. It's why i can't recommend one in good conscience. I have a gopro hero silver (3 i think - has WiFi) and it's fine, good quality video, audio ok, easy to use but temperamental. Occasionally freezes meaning you have to take the battery out and reinstall, not possible if you're all strapped in. I'd be ok with that if it was a cheap Chinese copy, but it's not, it's the most expensive one out there. 

A friend has one of these, it's what I'll be getting next, has GPS for track mapping and a really cool quick download function, where you can basically just grab short sections straight off it onto your phone and upload immediately, perfect for sprinting! (Note - cheaper elsewhere!)

https://m.johnlewis.com/tomtom-bandit-action-camera-4k-ultra-hd-16mp-bluetooth-wi-fi-with-waterproof-lens-adventure-pack/p/2797311?sku=236154357&s_kwcid=2dx92700016616070024&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CODKlsHtm9MCFU88Gwod1N4AZg&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1