Audi B7 RS4 Avant - anyone know anything about them?

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

BIL's saloon (2006) had recurring issues with coil packs going. Not cheap - if one goes it is time to replace all 8. At the time it was just shy of £800 for a set. Also suffered a few electrical issues initially but these were sorted under warranty. The thing was stunning to drive (at the time) though and I loved the seats that inflated to hold you better. They seem to have held steady in value terms as well.

I would, but I would have an RS6 even more.

High performance Audi's are great, but out of warranty can be eye watering expensive. A lot of the dealers seem to have problems diagosing issues on RS models.

Ive had a few issues (some self inflicted) like shearing driveshafts, ECUs and other little niggles. Ive just sold my 4 yo S8 on to my brother and i wish him luck.

I had a B7 for a couple of years, apart from the horrendous fuel consumption, it was bullet proof.

Can you not buy a warranty, like for other cars. Would give some peace of mind. 

It's a shame he needs an estate as the Lexus ISF is the fun V8 saloon for the discerning gentleman who wants reliability and something much less common.

13 hours ago, shrops-paul said:

Can you not buy a warranty, like for other cars. Would give some peace of mind. 

I've just got rid of an aftermarket warranty with Warranty Direct. They will refuse to pay for anything . Their glitzy website and 5 star Which recommendation means nothing, if they dont cover the things that break. In our case a boost sensor failed and took out an intercooler hose. They advertise replacing electric parts and any other parts that may manifest from the incident. 'Oh, we dont cover boost sensors' was their answer. So 'really' be aware that these aftermarket warranties are usually worth pish. Ironically they sent me a email the following day saying how many electrical parts are in a car that can go wrong and how their warranty will cover these :rolleyes:. As for Audi RS cars, some will avoid major items too , which are known to be problematic. If you can get an Audi warranty, although the cars are getting older, then go for it , although they wont be cheap.

I guess it's down to the small print. I had a bought warranty for my last privately owned car - a Skoda yeti, and they covered the £400 to replace the faulty sunroof motor which I was chuffed about. I would have classed that as electrical. Can't remember who that was from though. 

I had one some eight years ago and that was more or less worthless as TJ has said.

On 4/19/2017 at 18:33, sdh2903 said:

Has he bought one yet?

No, not yet. He's still in Sydney and not due back for a new job here until June. No doubt he will though...