Audi B7 RS4 Avant - anyone know anything about them?

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Another query on behalf of my son. He's looking for a fun daily driver that would a good motorway car and yet have decent carrying capacity. He has his heart set on an Audi B7 RS4 Avant manual and wanted to gather any knowledge from car enthusiasts that's going. Any experience anyone? I'll put this on Pistonheads as well as they're always full of opinions! Thanks in advance.

I'm currently looking at the S4/RS4 Avant range, and the biggest downside I see is the fuel economy, people are asking a lot of money for them too. The market seems to be inflated at the moment. I've been looking at the 2017 S4 Avants, and I can buy a new one to the exact spec I want and get it cheaper than they're advertised with 6k miles?! 12-16 week lead time though. 

I have tried to encourage him to widen his view of what's desirable but he has a string of reason why this precise model is what he wants. Life's too short to try to deflect him I'm afraid. 

Guy on Seloc had one and was cheaper keeping his Aston Martin working than the Audi. Make of that what you will. Lovely, lovely cars but with a potential I guess to supp money in all ways.

Never a right answer to this. Been there got loads of T shirts, always seem to cost me toooooo much money. But so what life's toooo short to not have fun.

They are a good car, just thirsty, still at least there not a diesel which the Gov is going to screw us all over on, having bigged them up for years.:(:o:no:

That's the point Nick. He would have had something like a BMW 5 or the 3 series diesel estates - 3.0 or 3.5 litres IIRC, but the fear of punitive new taxes and a dislike of diesel in general, put the mokkers on that idea. 

You'll get polarizing views. I've nearly bought one twice now to satisfy my v8 itch and on both occasions bottled it. You'll get half the camp saying very reliable and the other half saying they cost a mint. One of the main issues that crops up is timing chain wear/rattle. Easy one to listen for. It's a couple of k in parts to replace properly although not as common on the rs4 as on the s4. There are several jobs that require engine out.

The other thing to bear in mind is the model year vs tax. It swapped to the mega high tax bracket at some point during the b7 model. Think somewhere in 06.

With a sporty exhaust they do sound lovely.

A chap at work had one no more than 6 months, in that six months it was in the garage with warranty work for about 4 months. A range of electrical gremlins mainly, but also transmission problems and suspension breakages.

He sold at a massive loss to get shut before warranty ended, now has a Q7.

It's sounding grim, chaps... :(

Just have to be lucky finding a good one.    A V8 and twin turbos is going to be costly for repairs, however previous regular servicing with the Correct oil is paramount with Audis. One bug bear is the electronic damping system which is a common failure but can be converted at reasonable cost to standard shock absorbers. 

A guy on M3 cutters forum bought one and it was nicked of his drive in 4 days. Broke into his house and got the keys. :( Could happen to any car i suppose but they are "liked" due to value etc.   

1 hour ago, SXRORY said:

A guy on M3 cutters forum bought one and it was nicked of his drive in 4 days. Broke into his house and got the keys. :( Could happen to any car i suppose but they are "liked" due to value etc.   

Happened to a mates S5 too. Told him he shouldnt live in High Wycombe. So, now he has a DB9 , as he can hear them stealing it :rolleyes: