Nankang AR-1

S2T

Just wondering if anyone has run a set of these tyres and what their impressions were

Used them on an MX-5 race car the other weekend. Nothing to say other than they were 'fine'. Didn't blow me away but didn't think they were rubbish. So I think 'good for the money' is the best way I can put it :)

You will probably hear rave reviews from everyone else, because they are likely the first performance tyre they've used, and / or they aren't using them to their limits...

• Like 3

I chatted to a few Clio owners who were running them at a Javelin sprint recently. General impressions were good, but that they were difficult to get heat into compared to R888s or R888Rs for sprinting.

FWIW, I've just moved from soft-compound R888s to new R888Rs and I was 6 seconds faster round the Snetterton 300 circuit...

I looked at AR1s but there was no stock when I needed it. R888Rs were pretty much the same price from Demon Tweeks.

23 minutes ago, benedwards64 said:

FWIW, I've just moved from soft-compound R888s to new R888Rs and I was 6 seconds faster round the Snetterton 300 circuit...

WOW really! Have you done any other mods? As i've stuck with R888 SGs assuming the compound would be better suited, maybe I've missed a trick!

34 minutes ago, benedwards64 said:

Interesting. Was that the same day, back to back sessions?

15 hours ago, AdamR said:

No other mods, but do bear in mind the following:

Old sizes were 185/60/13 all round and the tyres were a few years old.

New tyres are staggered 185 front 205 rear. 

Two different sprint days but similar track conditions. So there of course may be other factors at play. 

Next round is at Blyton over BH weekend - if I'm faster there as well I'll report back :)

On 06/04/2017 at 16:19, AdamR said:

I was trying to make a point here but was obviously too subtle :laugh:

Here's one of my experiences with changing tyres:

2014: Racing in an MX-5 single marque series, I won both races that weekend with a best lap of Snett 300 in 2:30.5. This was on Federal RSR-595 tyres.

The next year, the series changed to Nankang NS-20 tyres - a cheap Chinese road tyre. Nothing else on the car changed and I lapped in 2:25.2.

Clearly the difference is down to the tyres, right? ;)

• Like 2

Yeah I'd agree with that Ads, tyre change can definitely make a difference to lap time, but nowhere near as much as experience. One of the things I'm happiest i did was to keep my car standard until I'd improved enough as a driver to notice what things to change/upgrade and what setting changes do and how to use them (under your expert tuition of course!). Conditions also play a huge part, but I definitely agree that driver experience will be the biggest factor in lap times.

:laugh: As will a dozen people telling you you're about to do a lap on the best tyres ever...

(Amazing the psychological boost such things can have on you.)

On 10/04/2017 at 13:28, AdamR said:

I was trying to make a point here but was obviously too subtle :laugh:

Here's one of my experiences with changing tyres:

2014: Racing in an MX-5 single marque series, I won both races that weekend with a best lap of Snett 300 in 2:30.5. This was on Federal RSR-595 tyres.

The next year, the series changed to Nankang NS-20 tyres - a cheap Chinese road tyre. Nothing else on the car changed and I lapped in 2:25.2.

Clearly the difference is down to the tyres, right? ;)

You make a good point, of course - I'm not suggesting the tyres were the only factor :)

Interestingly, the lap on the R888s was the day after I'd done a track-day at the same circuit, whereas the faster time on the R888Rs was the first event I'd driven the car on track for over four months - in fact, I think I'd only managed about 25 road miles to get myself back into the swing of things before strapping it to the trailer :d. Arguably I would have been more familiar with the track and car the first time round (and indeed I felt quite out-of-sorts with the new setup most of the day as I got used to it).

(Also, I have Federal 595RSRs on my other set of wheels. I think they're bl**** awful :laugh:)