Westfield arrived but problems already

DELETE ME

Well I have picked up my Seight on Sunday and drove it back home (120) miles and enjoyed every minute of it.

took it out on Monday and discovered the following

1. Garage stank of fuel but no leaks visible anywhere

2. Rear lights are led but fog and reverse lights not working (reverse light not even connected)

3. Temp hit 100 degrees and when I switched it off it wouldn't start until it cooled down

where do I start? I feel sick at the moment as I thought I had bought a good car.....

Firstly don't be too disheartened, i picked mine up on Sunday and found quite a few things that weren't seen despite a good viewing, and i've just been out to find a flat rear tyre, also my last car an SEight also had a few niggles, previous owners tend to get along with some things that others find irritating or worse.

Petrol smell could obviously be a leak and might take some methodical chasing, it might also just be venting from the tank if the garage has warmed up today?

Lights can be sorted as and when you have time.

Overheating, how did it hit 100 c, were you stuck in traffic? did the fan come on? it could be the fan switch if it didn't, or a relay, or just a bad connection, again it has be a process of elimination. As for not starting, do you  mean it wouldn't turn over or it did but didn't fire? looking at your avatar it looks like a single throttle body and gems system, so doubt it's fuel related (due to evaporation at elevated temps which can happen with a carb. There may be a thermal cut out with the gems a bit of googling might provide a direction to follow?

Ian 

Firstly, sorry that you are having problems. However you have not bought a 'production' car from a clinically clean factory in Munich, or Stuttgart, or even Dagenham, and this sort of thing very much goes with the territory. I am well versed with my own car (PInto on carbs) but not with yours, but certainly someone will be, and if you're really lucky someone local to you will be happy to give you a bit of advice.

Petrol smell on a car with carbs may not be anything at all, and high temperature after a run not too unusual either. As for the lighting, it could be very simple and something like a bit of corrosion on unprotected bullet connectors. 

I sincerely wish you luck in sorting it because I know from fourteen years of ownership that the fun exceeds the pain many times over.

Blimey Yanto, you must have kept your hands outside the bedclothes when you were a lad! I can barely make out the picture in his avatar, let alone make a diagnosis like that! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Blimey Yanto, you must have kept your hands outside the bedclothes when you were a lad! I can barely make out the picture in his avatar, let alone make a diagnosis like that! 

I'm probably wrong on all aspects, but i sincerely hope not, my SEight was on a different set up otherwise I might have been a bit more knowledgeable. I believe @6carjon will be much more in the know.

2. Rear lights are led but fog and reverse lights not working (reverse light not even connected)

If its a Q plate it does not need a reverse for MOT, might just be there for cosmetics, does need fog though

The fuel smell could be from any rubber hoses. Depending on the quality/grade and age some hoses are slightly porous and over a period of time vapours can leak through.

I would echo all the comments made so don't panic, I'm sure all these issues can be dealt with easily. Your details show your location as Ripley, if this is Derbyshire you could come to the Derby and Notts meet on Thursday 6th April at the Clock in Shardlow to chat to members and we can look over the car as the weather is looking good.

Hopefully we can help you sort these niggles so that you can get out with us and Julie (Peak District AO) on our regular trips around the peaks :yes:

• Like 3

Mine used to stink of fuel terrible when I first had it but traced back to some muppet having overtightened the nuts holding the carbs to the mainfold, crushing the plastic gaskets which was only visible from below.  All now sorted but after a run out I still have to leave the car outside to "cool off" for 20 mins else the fuel can be smelt quite strongly next morning as is rises through the trumpets...... the wife says it makes our garage smell like a garage!!!!!

It's not carbs it's a single act carbon plenum injection from the picture.

My seight was very similar. Symptoms could be all sorts of things but happy to chat with you 121 and give you pointers from experience. I am not a mechanical experts but have had my seight sine 1998.

Cheers jon

As said by others, dont worry, things are easy to resolve. As for petrol smells, mine did until I extended the breather pipe. It stank the garage out. Still has a slight wisp , but it used to smell like I had poured it on the floor. As for fog light. Plenty of diagrams available. Reverse light, obviously needs cables. Its incorporated in the main loom, so will be there somewhere.

Hang in there :t-up:

Have you still got the carbon can mounted between the rear seats on the bulkhead under the boot lid/ on top of the differential.if you have a boot box you might need to remove this first.

media.jpg

Bit bigger here, looks like it has a distributor so not Gems, must be a lucas 4cu or 4cux see http://www.v8developments.co.uk/technical/injection/standard/index.shtml I note is does have temp sensors, so might be killing the engine when too hot especially if there was a bit of heat soak when you stopped the engine. I would sort the cooling first by at least seeing if the fan cuts in, my 5.1 used to do it after just a few minutes of idling from cold.

unless you built it yourself with 20/20  hindesight or the builder had more experience you'll find a few interesting issues.   Also since the donor parts will curtainly pre date the car there will be some rubber parts past it's best.  And the technology even when new was questionable.  After just over a year I think I'm close to sorting out shake down issues.  It's the odd nut you find In foot wells which get me.   Never sure if the have fell out the tool bag or off the car.     The knurled nuts holding the clocks in keep arriving in the foot wells. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2017 at 20:58, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

I would echo all the comments made so don't panic, I'm sure all these issues can be dealt with easily. Your details show your location as Ripley, if this is Derbyshire you could come to the Derby and Notts meet on Thursday 6th April at the Clock in Shardlow to chat to members and we can look over the car as the weather is looking good.

Hopefully we can help you sort these niggles so that you can get out with us and Julie (Peak District AO) on our regular trips around the peaks :yes:

I was planning to go down with no problems, but I guess it's something to talk about ;) 

What time is the meet tomorrow night at shardlow?