Introduction and first question.

Thenwood

I don't think it will be as bad as you expect without doors Tom. 

Worst case can you jimmy something together with thick cardboard and gaffa tape?

• Like 1

Can Westfield help you out with a set of the acrylic wind deflectors instead? They're still surprisingly effective with the half hood.

You may want to knock up some roof bars as well as I can't imagine the roof slapping you on the head continuosly for the whole journey is going to be fun.

You could buy some half doors, these are easily available and a good alternative with a hood like yours. It will remove buffeting and keep you relatively warm. If you wear outdoor clothing and a hat/helmet you will be fine.

I drove from 700 miles in a day with half doors and a wind deflector in the rain, it wasn't fun but I made it.

With a windscreen, half doors and a roof you will be in sheer luxury:d

• Like 1

Went to the Alps last year with no roof,no screen, no doors - just half doors a helmet and rain suit for 2400 miles.

Got soaked!

Was still fun though, so just do it :t-up:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RussH said:

I don't think it will be as bad as you expect without doors Tom. 

Worst case can you jimmy something together with thick cardboard and gaffa tape?

I recall the last 'sunny' trip in the rain with you (chucking it down), you  were driving through the puddles like a 4 year old without a roof and doors... don't listen to him he's a bonkers no roof man :p

Hey chaps,

im being a wuss I know! I've got a pair of half doors on the way. I may fab up a small wind deflector if I have time in the next couple of days. 

• Like 2

The best bit about driving through puddles is that they are usually deepest on your passengers side of the car. :d

Evil Jen

(Assuming UK car on left hand side roads etc)

• Like 1

Great news! She made it!

With Huge thanks to sparkymarts AKA Martin who lent me some doors. I really wouldn't have enjoyed the trip as much without them!

The car ran great, was comfortable, and smooth enough with the dampers set to the softest setting.

The only issues: 

Got very hot once after hitting standing traffic on the M4, had to pull over and turn it off to cool down. Have done some reading to attack thus.

When the transmission is hot i get terrible juddering when i pull away in first. Even with plenty of revs. Any advice there id love to hear it. 

After a run and turning the car off, turning it back on it doesn't like to idle, just slowly lowers revs until cutting out. 

All can be addressed I'm sure, I'm just happy we are back in one piece!

17776878_10211109412944963_331732438_o_z

17776883_10211109413384974_1657294442_o_

17691021_10211109411704932_1095313039_n_

• Like 6

Glad you and the car made it ok, sorry i can't be of help with the technical issues, i have thoughts on them but others have much more experience and technical knowledge than I have, or will ever have.

Although it might be worth asking Andrew at Toybox if he's done any work on the car which might be related?

Ian

I'd get some perspex wind deflectors for the time being - will help deflect the rain as well!  I'd also think about asking SB4S about their big quadrant shaped zips which enable me and my poor old back to get in and out vertically.

Have a safe journey and welcome to the club!

Well done Tom. How many days, miles and fuel stops? I bet you've turned some heads in Nbg, already!

The trip went over 3 days, Cornwall to surrey. Surrey to aachen. then straight to work from aachen. 3 4-5 hour stints with i think 6 fill ups.

• Like 2

Do you live near the nurnbergring? ;):d 

3 hours ago, RussH said:

Do you live near the nurnbergring? ;):d 

Nuremberg is in Bavaria. Unfortunately it's nowhere near the 'green hell'.