Car transporter trailer in garage?

Chris Hooper

I'm toying with buying a trailer to transport the Westfield but I don't have a lot of space I do though have a garage which I assume has a standard size up and over door. Can I reverse a trailer into a standard garage and close the door ?

just a thought. 

Thanks  Chris 

2 minutes ago, Chris Hooper said:

I'm toying with buying a trailer to transport the Westfield but I don't have a lot of space I do though have a garage which I assume has a standard size up and over door. Can I reverse a trailer into a standard garage and close the door ?

just a thought. 

Thanks  Chris 

If you're incredible at reversing!

Seriously though, lots of us do it the other way around - park the car nose-in on the trailer in a single garage, with the jockey wheel quite high, then slide the ramps out to drive in and out.

Depending on your track width, with careful measuring you can probably get a single axle trailer narrow enough to fit through the (7'6"?) goalposts - on my Woodford lightweight the widest bits are the rubber marker lights.

As per above, it's bloomin' close, fractions of a mm each side!!

9 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

If you're incredible at reversing!

To be fair I'm pretty good with the lawn tractor.....        

• Like 1

I've got a BJ Minno twin axle with the fold up hitch and fits a single garage with ease.

• Like 1

I have a Clubman but a longer than standard garage. However, the doorway is standard I believe, and I've reversed mine uphill into mine and it's got a curve on the approach. As I couldn't stand the stink of scorched clutch linings on my tow-car I now manoeuvre it in with no car on and drive the car up afterwards as someone suggested earlier. One of these comes in handy although it cannot make the slope with the car on as the wheels spin on the tarmac.

$_86.JPG

Add caravan motor movers to trailer & it is a breeze

• Like 1

I looked at this a couple of years back.  There are narrow trailers that will fit, but then they're narrow for the Westfield.  Short ones will give you overhang at the back, and a long drawbar at the front, so you'll need the full length of a standard garage or more.  Folding drawbars may work, but are expensive, and the nose couldn't overhang the bed.  It needs some careful measuring.  I did consider using the winch on the trailer to pull it all into the garage. As I have a workbench in the back of the garage, it wouldn't work whatever I did :(

1 hour ago, Craig Spooner said:

Add caravan motor movers to trailer & it is a breeze

Yes I thought of that but it adds to the all-up weight. Mr Shifta remains at home and is probably cheaper. They're not made any more so it's an Ebay purchase.