Uninterrupted power supply.

Stu Faulkner

I need a UPS.

I know how to fit one but i'm not sure of the type/size/battery type.

It does not need to be continuous as its running an electric gate and I do not want people from getting locked in.

The gate draws 16 Amp single phase but i'm not sure of its start up load at this time (Its not been fitted yet)

The power does not go out for long if ever but might need to open the gate about twenty times before the power goes back on.

The gate is 130 meters away from the supply but due to the volt drop I could fit it in a local feeder pillar.

Any ideas?

Is it really 4kW? That sounds like a pretty hefty motor. That could be the inrush current rating?

anyhoo, find out the kVA required and get an UPS that can supply that much power. Duration of supply is then determind by capacity but I think you'll be looking for a decent bit of kit.

4 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Is it really 4kW? That sounds like a pretty hefty motor. That could be the inrush current rating?

anyhoo, find out the kVA required and get an UPS that can supply that much power. Duration of supply is then determind by capacity but I think you'll be looking for a decent bit of kit.

Its a eight foot high sliding vehicle gate to keep people out.:)

The gate manufacturer has specified a 16 Amp supply so I'm hoping it includes full start up load.

Youre going to need a shed load of batteries and that motor I would suspect would be a high torque motor , so will use a lot of battery capacity ............. 

Don't they normally have a manual override so you can open/close in event of power failure, like opening a sluice gate on a lock?

@finkangel I think you're looking more for a standby generator than UPS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IanK said:

@finkangel I think you're looking more for a standby generator than UPS.

You could be right. Not that hard to do either. 

As said about the generators, when I used to look run up generators for banks, we used to drop the incommer supply to allow the ups to hold the servers , while the generator kicked up to speed and within 30 secs , the generator was on line and supporting power until mains was put back on. I dont think we had more than 5 mins ups support before we were in problems . 

• Like 1

The trouble with most solutions is unless you are rigourous about maintenance, they will do a Fawlty Towers fire extinguisher job on you every time you need them, so don't forget to allow for that aspect. A battery based UPS is fine in the right scenario, as is a backup supply. You don't appear to need sustained power, just a backup, so I think I'd probably favour a generator as well TBH. At my last place we had a range of solutions for various systems. Most critical had dual battery UPS fed from A supply that had flywheel UPS to hold up supply while the generators fired up and stabilised (two redundant systems of same), less critical had battery UPS on a different single generator backed supply. All systems got checked on a regualr and routine basis, fuel reserves were montired to ensure they didn't degrade, replaced as required. It can get expensive.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@finkangel if you're not sorted. I install auto gates . Let me have details or a picture of the motor. I am unaware of any single phase motor that draws that much current 

1 hour ago, neptune said:

@finkangel if you're not sorted. I install auto gates . Let me have details or a picture of the motor. I am unaware of any single phase motor that draws that much current 

Thanks. 

The gates will be going in next week so I'll have a look. 

Sounds like a manual override would be the easiest solution here. I'd check with the supplier to see if there is an override function. 

45 minutes ago, Deanspoors said:

Sounds like a manual override would be the easiest solution here. I'd check with the supplier to see if there is an override function. 

This is looking Like the easiest approach. 

Is this for 'Fort Finkangel'?

sorry i had to ask ???

• Like 1