Anti virus software time again

Captain Colonial

Time to review my anti virus software again.  My desktop came with free McAfee last year, but the renewal price I'm being offered is four times the cost of many others for new install, typical attempted rip off of those not savvy enough to switch.

So seeking advice and experience for a properly robust anti virus software package please - ta.

Windows 10 64-bit

I've used avg for years and have it on all the work pc's also.  No complaints.   A free tool worth running is malwarebytes to clean up other nasties.  

I just use the built in Windows defender, plus occasional scans with Malwarebytes.  I've never had a virus.  The main threats these days seem to be from e-mails and attachments, so don't open Word, Excel, zip or html attachments unless you are very sure of their source.

Geoff

As above, use defender don't go to dodgy web sites (WSCC excepted) don't open any emails that I'm not expecting, "touching wood" had no problems on 3 laptops and a desk top.

@Scott Young - WSCC Chairman in my experience McAfee will soon start bombarding you with offers at a much lower price.

Avg is good although i think they've changed recently and charge for full protection.

I v e used Norton internet security for the past few years. Just bought a download code from eBay each year for about a tenner covers one pc. Never had a problem does malware, virus , performance clean ups etc.

Who do you use for your broadband? I'm with BT and get McAfee free each year by download.

Try Sophos..... commercial software that is now offered FREE for home users.

https://home.sophos.com/

For those that say they use other free products and have not had a virus it probably means the product isn't able to detect anything - they are all signature based applications that are updated daily to find the bad stuff out there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark Wendon (smokey mow) - WSCC Club Secretary said:

Who do you use for your broadband? I'm with BT and get McAfee free each year by download.

Virgin.

That's my broadband supplier, not a personal description. :d

10 hours ago, IanK said:

Seconded. Installed NOD32 on the systems at work (back when I worked...) and it managed to resist the ravages of many hundreds of students for many years. It's still there now and still keeping up. Use it at home as well.

if you are on Virgin you do get access to f-secure saying that I'm on virgin and use windows defender and have done for quite a few years, like others I'm careful but it has picked up the odd bit of dodgy code. 

I also use opendns it's different DNS server that also helps protect you from rouge websites, it's used corporately but they allow personal users to use it free. 

Comodo AV & firewall, Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster and CCleaner. All freeware and not had a problem for years.

On 01/03/2017 at 09:23, benlindley said:

Best free AV for about 20 years

https://www.avast.com/

Or just use Defender on Windows 10

My very geeky mate recommends Avast.

I use the McAfee bloatware that comes free with BT

• Like 1