Vinyl

Onliest Smeg David

Anyone else still partake...

2017-02-20 20.30.25-1.jpg2017-02-20 19.54.27.jpg

Nope, I used to, but "swapped" the vinyl replay for a Westfield. Selling my old record deck funded the first Westfield.

I just found stopped using the vinyl when CD hit a certain quality level and was very conscious of how much was invested in the deck.

Mind you, I've still got five or six thousand LP's stored away, so one day I may revisit them for sentimental reasons.

8 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

Mind you, I've still got five or six thousand LP's stored away

:oops:

Yes, I have a high-fi cd deck, but my (much) preferred listening format is vinyl. I am convinced that vinyl gives a better listening experience, particularly with acoustic music, so pop/rock the advantage of vinyl is less clear cut. However despite being a vinyl fan I would be the first to acknowledge that the cost of achieving a reasonable quality of equipment is much higher with vinyl. My cartridge/stylus alone cost more than my cd deck. 

1 hour ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

Anyone else still partake...

2017-02-20 20.30.25-1.jpg2017-02-20 19.54.27.jpg

What's that?

13 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

Mind you, I've still got five or six thousand LP's stored away, so one day I may revisit them for sentimental reasons.

13 hours ago, XTR2Turbo said:

:oops:

5-6k is a fair number of years back to back music.

I've just 200+ increasing by 2 or 3 a year. Most of my music is on CD (2000+) 

I do not download unless I have to have something that cannot be found on Vinyl or CD.

Vinyl still used here occassionally. I did reach the heights with a Linn many years ago but was made an offer I couldn'nt refuse, so sold it for £50 more than I paid.  I later regreetted selling the Linn and bought a Rega planar 2 for the occasional vinyl fix.

Still have my film Canon eos and going to try Kodaks finest soon and see how that compares with the digital version.

Yep!

revox-b795.jpg

Haven't used it since I moved four years ago 'cos I haven't found my records yet! :bangshead:

Likewise my tapes...

A77-301.jpg

Still use this though

A76.jpg

50 minutes ago, benlindley said:

Wouldn't be without - hand made British nonsense here. Cant beat the sound of needle on vinyl

A Michell :yes:

Almost bought a GyroDec myself, but the ClearAudio just edged it for me.

.... after trying to recommission my Linn following a few years storage during 'lean times' to find it knackered and repair totally uneconomical. I found after 20 years other brands had caught up and Linns prices unjustifiable, but the arm was still good and helped fund replacement purchase significantly.

Despite my deck being German, I'm all for British 'nonsense' & the rest of my Hi-Fi components are British.

• Like 1

Had to sell these as the man cave was being disbanded to make way for my daughter. 

IMAG0127.jpg

These were all sold....A lot of plop in there too though.

IMAG0100.jpg

If you were going to keep one though......

IMAG0135.jpg....

Gone digital now don't miss vinyl. Its very heavy

22 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

A Michell :yes:

Almost bought a GyroDec myself, but the ClearAudio just edged it for me.

.... after trying to recommission my Linn following a few years storage during 'lean times' to find it knackered and repair totally uneconomical. I found after 20 years other brands had caught up and Linns prices unjustifiable, but the arm was still good and helped fund replacement purchase significantly.

Despite my deck being German, I'm all for British 'nonsense' & the rest of my Hi-Fi components are British.

clearaudio a good choice, like the upgradeability of the TecnoDec, have a long line of cartridges to blow money on and arm upgrade is a possibility. Fundamentally it sounds great but have to admit the looks drew me to it first!