Thinking the Un-Thinkable…

John K

On 16 January 2017 at 13:28, John K said:

OK... This might be the quickest U-turn in forum history but...

I had fell out of love with the Westie experience because it was all getting hard work. And I was still needing to sort the gear box, sort the choppy ride etc. All of those jobs were frankly beyond me seeing how changing 4 wheels takes all day and a long lie down afterwards.

That's why I started to investigate other fun options that were hassle free.

But having done some reading I would be looking at dropping at least £5k to £10k over and above the two cars (Westie and ST) plus some potentially high ownership costs.

Having spoken to Grizlee at length (when we should have been working) I reckon if I called BTEC (30 mins away) and said "come collect it on a trailer, do the gear box, shocks and get it through the MoT and charge me what you like" I would still have change from £2k

So yes I would be dodging the mechanical aspects of Westie ownership, but if I wanted to play with spanners I will go buy some Meccano. I just want to drive the damn thing.

And the thought process continues (and I'm prepared to be corrected) in that the total yearly Porker owner ship costs for stuff like fuel, tires, insurance etc would totally pay for somebody else to do the spannering.

And for all of Clarkson's comments that "you're not a petrol head till you've owned an Alfa"... Sorry but a Westie / Caterham sort of car make you WAY more of a petrol head than an Alfa.

Plus if you have a Xflow, you literally are a petrol head cos it spits the stuff at you.

So.. thoughts..? 

John,

I think you don't really need any thoughts...pretty well summed it up there I think. Westfield ownership is really not much different to any other marque...it means different things to different people. I have the utmost respect for people who build their own and spend hours upgrading. Personally, having also had to fix most if my drives over many years through financial necessity, I prefer to spend my time driving the westie rather than spannering on it. For me, it is so impractical and the weather so unpredictable, it makes sense for it to be drive able at a moments notice, rather than constantly in bits for the latest upgrade.

get someone else to sort it mate and then enjoy.

mart.

• Like 1

having a spare moment... not read all the comments. z4 and z4m as said are different. i.e steering in z4 is electric servo z4m is the old fashioned pneumatic.

anyway. z4m very good. but don't discount a well maintained 3.0i much cheaper and very good bang for buck. z4m well yes better but you fork out for M-tax. Z4 seats as a rule are not that comfy. don't discount the newer 35i 35is.... super quick but a bit heavier more cruiser but still fun.

secret money goes on the z4 made by alpina.... but hens teeth to get.

• Like 1

How about selling the XFlow to somebody who wants to tinker/spanner for say £5-6k, putting £2.5k on top of that and buying a sorted Zetec engined car? Might take a bit of time but I reckon you could achieve yours plus £2.5k

Cayman S 3.4 for a "sort of no compromise" two seater sports car. You'd be buying towards the middle/bottom of the market. Not much chance of a low miler* but you may get lucky.

M3 V8 for a GT Coupé. Just about in budget and a reasonable chance of a low miler* Drive it well and a Cayman won't be getting away from you.

Merc C63 or Audi RS4 for fun with 4 doors. Might struggle with 15K to spend here though.

SL55/SL35 or SLK55 if you want two doors and top down grins. Plenty in the budget and the SLK is small so should be a hoot in the twisties.

Monaro if you can put up with the looks (personal choice. I think they look like a fat Astra...) In budget again.

*Low milers = sub 40K with FSH.

FWIW IMHO etc :getmecoat:

Thanks all for the various suggestions of cars (the Monaro was a blinder...) but I've decided to stay a devout member of the church.

Already spoken to BTEC and I just need to get a local transporter company to get it to them (which won't be cheap LOL)

As for Gary's idea to chop the Xflow for a more modern engined one, funnily enough the engine and carbs have never gone wrong (how's that for a kiss of death). This also came up in the conversation with Grizlee.

Yes, by every logical and empirical measure a Red or Silver top would be a more reliable runner and easier to live with.

But... For me the Xflow with the carbs makes the car, it really does. And I'm sort of chuffed that I'm keeping something running from very much a time gone by.

So the big push is to get it all sorted for the summer.

And another mate could tell I was in the dumps cos I couldn't spanner anymore and he sent me a pressie - for a different thread...

• Like 1

Xflow on Webers, does it get any better? Reliable and bomb proof, probably more than any other.

There are lots of engine options, mine has an XE, also on Webers, thought about injection but I just love that noise. The Xflow is the same, so stay with the force.

Monaro, Cayman, Z4, Porker - b*****k*. Who on earth would buy a Boxster?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bollockybill said:

Who on earth would buy a Boxster?

I dunno, some sad old sod going through an epic midlife crisis...

Glad we don't know anybody like that...

13 hours ago, RussH said:

Re transport, have you tried anyvan.com?

Good shout... between £90 and £130 depending on date. 

Seems quite reasonable. And when the "What type of car" box popped up I thought "here we go", but they actually had Westfields listed (wonder if that because they have a higher than average need for transportation :p)

Will call the local shifters to see what they want and compare...

"My friend" would get a breakdown cover on the Westfield and have it towed/transported to the garage of his choice when it "broke down on the drive"...  AutoAid is what "my friend" would recommend ;)

Is the car broken to the point that it can't be driven. I guess it's sorned but insured. If it's able to get to the garage under it's own steam could you not tax and drive it or even pay the garage to collect (with trade plates) i would have thought it would cost less than £90-£130

22 hours ago, bollockybill said:

Xflow on Webers, does it get any better? Reliable and bomb proof, probably more than any other.

There are lots of engine options, mine has an XE, also on Webers, thought about injection but I just love that noise. The Xflow is the same, so stay with the force.

Monaro, Cayman, Z4, Porker - b*****k*. Who on earth would buy a Boxster?

Err.............

54 minutes ago, Grizzlee said:

Err.............

Were your ears burning..?

JK,

im assuming it's insured? If drive able, book it in for an mot at the garage, or one just past it, and you are covered to drive it there legally with no tax?

mart.

12 hours ago, Mighty Mart said:

JK,

im assuming it's insured? If drive able, book it in for an mot at the garage, or one just past it, and you are covered to drive it there legally with no tax?

mart.

I do that. Mine is insured but SORNed but I have an annual MoT just to drive it to and from the tester's place. Didn't do it last year for various reasons, but I'll try to do it this year.