Thinking the Un-Thinkable…

John K

Folks,

Unfortunately my health is slowly and inexorably deteriorating and I’m not sure if I am up to Westie ownership any longer.

They are quite physical things to own and drive and working on them needs both stamina and dexterity (for the fiddly bits, especially electrical connections) neither of which I have anymore.

But… I love driving, My Lord I really love driving…

Having had the Fiesta ST for nearly a year, I’ve seen it’s possible to have ‘hassle free fun’ behind the wheel.

But a front wheel drive hot mini hatch isn’t really a true drivers car (no matter how much of a hoot it is)

So I am thinking about getting rid of the ST and the Westie and getting a 10 year old ish Porker Cayman at the £15k sort of price point (possibly a little more for a 3.4 manual).

And this would be just for Fundays and Sundays (about 2,000 miles a year), I would still have a boggo daily driver.

So… how does sit with the genuine petrol heads on the forum. Sure I won’t be hard core any more, but would I still be able to claim myself to be a petrol head whilst owning a hairdressers tin top.

Cheers…

There's a fair few people who've made the jump from Westfield to Porsche. Not all of them come back, so there most be something in those things!

At this age of car I would be looking away from Porsche.  They seem to have no end of engine problems.  My brothers Gt3 had a couple of engine out jobs and there were no end of boxster engines dumped out back.

Z4M or lotus would be my choice.

But overall I think your strategy makes sense

David

• Like 1

Lotus are rubbish. My Elise was awkward to get in and out, far more so than the Westie and less reliable.  A decent Boxsterish car is good. Hell, at the end of the day, if it allows you to occasionally go and enjoy a drive and get out and about, go for it. Max the enjoyment and hope you stay around here, there is no reason why you cant even if the Westie goes . 

Go for a decent MX5 . Still a decent drivers car and very useable.

Thanks to all repliers so far.

Interesting a few votes have gone to the Z4. A very close and incredibly brainy engineering friend got a Z4 but only because he didn't want to stretch to good Caymen money...

But I've always wanted a Porker, nearly bought a 944 25 years back. Always regretted not doing it,

Conscious of the Porker warnings, and very conscious of the general mantra that if you buy cheap, you buy twice, what if I extended to budget to 20k - 25K, does that get me into safer territory..?

MX5 RF! or standard MX5. Maybe not quickest in straight line but definitely fun drivers cars that reward pressing on hard. And good as everyday vehicle, value running costs and reliability.

If you really require more thrust a BBR version. 

Once a petrolhead always so, so it's just a case of finding what meets your current requirements.

1 hour ago, John K said:

Thanks to all repliers so far.

Interesting a few votes have gone to the Z4. A very close and incredibly brainy engineering friend got a Z4 but only because he didn't want to stretch to good Caymen money...

But I've always wanted a Porker, nearly bought a 944 25 years back. Always regretted not doing it,

Conscious of the Porker warnings, and very conscious of the general mantra that if you buy cheap, you buy twice, what if I extended to budget to 20k - 25K, does that get me into safer territory..?

Not Z4, but Z4M - an entirely different class of animal. My son has a coupé and he doesn't treat it with kid gloves either. It goes like stink and yet is a comfortable cruiser too. The coupés are now shooting up in value but a Roadster M would still do the job. 

I have had 944, boxster and cayman and they all have an intrinsic rightness to their driving position and feel and location of controls. Their engines esp the flat sixes are beautiful to drive and listen to. They are not the fastest or even the most reliable but I think you should give them a try.  Keep some budget for maintenance and enjoy a beautifully designed car 

• Like 2

How about a nice sporty Porsche Cayenne Diesel?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Young - WSCC Chairman said:

How about a nice sporty Porsche Cayenne Diesel?

You Sir are an almost indescribable person of dubious genealogical parentage...

Erm, do they come with an auto box and parking assist..? 

9 minutes ago, John K said:

You Sir are an almost indescribable person of dubious genealogical parentage...

Erm, do they come with an auto box and parking assist..? 

You'll need parking assist with all the black smoke coming out the back being a diesel :d

Certainly an auto box, 0-60 in 7.3 seconds.

1 minute ago, Thrustyjust said:

You'll need parking assist with all the black smoke coming out the back being a diesel :d

Jeez, 

I am never going to shift this DERV thing am I..?

When I come to needing an inscription on a headstone, Scott will not be the first in line..!