Thinking the Un-Thinkable…

John K

Full status of the car is...

• It is Insured
  • No Tax (also not SORN'd for 2 years, I know, I know I'm going to get hit for that, any advice on what to expect? My bad so if I get fined, I get fined)
  • No MoT
  • It was Driveable (if you don't use 2nd)
  • Engine hasn't turned for well over a year so I expect there to be no oil in the bores and no fuel in the system

Genuine thanks for all the advice as to the various scenarios to get it back on the road, even the slightly 'ahem' ones ;)

The problem I now have is not wanting any agg at all (and by agg I mean driving it in the cold, going to the post office for blah, getting it onto a trailer, etc...). I wish I could just give somebody the car and a wad of money and say give it me back when its healthy and happy.

I know its pathetic, it really is, to have given up so much and I don't want to bleat (cos that's pathetic as well) but I have so many things on my plate, I want the Westie to cheer me up for zero effort (just money LOL) on my behalf..!

In the mean time I will resort to booze :d

• Like 1

Because your westie is insured and not been used on road it would appear that you have temporarily fallen off Big Brother's radar regarding no road tax and no SORN. From what I understand likely fine would be £80--the big fines are for proven on road use.

I am guessing you are probably about 40 to 50 miles from the Westfield factory, If no nearer recommended garages are available (with multiple very good reviews) then would the factory collect your car on a trailer (for a fee) repair and return it?  You could ask them to get the MOT done as well; then when car returns it's simply a case of going online and buying road tax.

To keep control of costs you really need a written quotation of the work to be done and the likely cost.

It could be after 2 years inactivity there are items needing renewal that aren't immediately obvious so costs could rise.

Good luck whatever you decide.

5% ethanol petrol can nibble away at older rubber parts. Mine hasn't been run since October 2015 which was my last track day. Whether I will remove the plugs and dizzle oil into the cylinders or not remains to be seen...

There are a few problems associated with cars that have not been used for a while.

1. No oil pressure. Easy fix. Start engine, rev to 6,000 rpm for 5 minutes.

2. Air lock in cooling system. See 1.

3. Sticking clutch. See 1, engage first gear, release jack from under diff.

4. Anything else. See 1, seems to work for everything else.

9 hours ago, bollockybill said:

There are a few problems associated with cars that have not been used for a while.

1. No oil pressure. Easy fix. Start engine, rev to 6,000 rpm for 5 minutes.

2. Air lock in cooling system. See 1.

3. Sticking clutch. See 1, engage first gear, release jack from under diff.

4. Anything else. See 1, seems to work for everything else.

Certainly worked for my daughter's 1984 Bedford CF250 camper van stuck clutch! The builders have nearly finished putting the front wall of the house back already!

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Certainly worked for my daughter's 1984 Bedford CF250 camper van stuck clutch! The builders have nearly finished putting the front wall of the house back already!

Couldn't you have just bricked the camper into place and called it an extension..?

3 hours ago, John K said:

Couldn't you have just bricked the camper into place and called it an extension..?

Oh boy, wouldn't I love to! It is a right Royal pain in the :arse: 

2 hours ago, iain m said:

Were you combining No1 and No 3 with the vehicle pointing the wrong to achieve such damage????

Yep! And seized brakes to boot! It was parked on her front lawn so jacking it wasn't really an option. The brakes freed fairly easily with a bit of rocking and thumping, so we then rolled it off the grass on to the road. With the engine warmed up I tried cranking it in first gear along the road until it started, then standing on everything: clutch (obviously), brakes, and accelerator. Driving along with the front wheels locked didn't put up sufficient resistance so last ditch effort was to jack it as suggested in item 3. Spun up the rear wheels in fourth gear and then simultaneously shut the throttle, and pressed the clutch and brakes (hard). There was a bang and the rear wheels stopped turning but the engine run at idle. Obviously the clutch was now free! It seemed safer to use the brakes first than drop it off the jack. Had we failed to free the brakes then it would still be on her grass! Oh, I lied about the house wall..... :oops:

• Like 1

Oh, I lied about the house wall..... :oops:

I would have said "...exaggerated for comedic purposes..." :oops::d 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blatman said:

I would have said "...exaggerated for comedic purposes..." :oops::d 

A skilled raconteur never exaggerates, he embellishes...

10 hours ago, John K said:

A skilled raconteur never exaggerates, he embellishes...

I used the word exaggerate for comedic purposes :p 

• 2 weeks later...