Austin A35

Andrew

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I reckon he's folded the rear seats down to save weight...

see here

:bangshead:

I reckon he might not have a rear seat. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I reckon he's folded the rear seats down to save weight...

see here

:bangshead:

Haha priceless!

The father of a very early girlfriend of mine had an A35 van with a couple of rear seats. Judging by the way it felt we were lucky it remained upright on the gentlest of bends! The father died in recent years at the age of 93 so I assume the van didn't fall over. The girlfriend legged to Australia with her boss in 1970... :(

My first "car"  Austin A35 Van in British Racing Green , £15 from Scarth Hill motor auctions Ormskirk , came with a health hazard warning. 

No idea what speed it did as the speedo needle just bounced from one end to the other of the gauge , no brakes worth speaking of , 4 bald tyres ( early kind of slicks ) , holes in floorpan for cooling , i think one wiper blade sort of worked occasionally , great fun to drive .

Brother PB2 had an earlier A30/7 we used to race each other regularly and crash a lot :t-up:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pistonbroke said:

My first "car"  Austin A35 Van in British Racing Green , £15 from Scarth Hill motor auctions Ormskirk , came with a health hazard warning. 

No idea what speed it did as the speedo needle just bounced from one end to the other of the gauge , no brakes worth speaking of , 4 bald tyres ( early kind of slicks ) , holes in floorpan for cooling , i think one wiper blade sort of worked occasionally , great fun to drive .

Brother PB2 had an earlier A30/7 we used to race each other regularly and crash a lot :t-up:

My second car was a 1956 Standard Ten (first was a 1947 Morris Ten Series 'M') and my chums had variously a Morris Minor, a Vauxhall Ten, a Ford Anglia 1172 side valve Popular type, and the wealthier one an Austin A50. The combined BHP was barely into three figures I imagine. Huge fun, though, on crossply tyres, and unassisted drum brakes. Another mate had a Ford 8 'Y' type but it fell over...

My brother had an A35 which he rolled and put in a ditch fortunately upright. I got a call on night to g tow him out with my Cortina, I managed to tow it out but we forgot to put someone in the drivers seat. Consequently I drove down the road with an out of control A35 behind attached via a rope, the A35 seemed to develop a relationship with the rear of my Cortina and I couldnt shake it off, eventually the tow rope snapped and I managed to escape.

I remember A35's seemed to roll regularly, similarly Morris Minors could be found on most roundabouts with a front wheel at 45 degrees where the trunnion had jumped out of the kingpin.

Happy days   

My A35 did roll a lot and I also had the grunion pin on my Morris 1000 Traveller fail!

When I met SWMBO in the early 60s her dad had a small garage and she just "smoked"  ( a 1960s term ) whatever her dad gave her as daily transport for a few weeks. This was usually Austin A40 or Morris Minor, one summers day she turned up in mint Morris Minor 1000  convertible hoping to hang on to it for the summer. 10 days later it was replaced with an A35 which she hated, after about 6 weeks it was sold and hoping for something nice which turned out to be a A30!!!!!!!!!!!!! In revenge one weekend she turned up in her Dads motor Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, Black over Cream with a pre selector gearbox and had told him he could have the A30 which was never seen again!!!!!!!!!!! 

I've a couple of baby Austin stories.. Pal No1 way back.. owned an A35 van. I think the story goes he fall asleep one night on the A1.. the van rolled several times down an embankment, you can imagine the state of it when it came to rest. His biggest fear at the time was that he wouldn't be able to re start it as the battery was laying on the grass with a terminal ripped out! :laugh:

Pal No2 owned an A30, and he spent a load of time and filler making it look pristine. He got married, and I think within a week or so, his new wife flipped it onto it's side at a junction! As far as I know it didn't end in divorce! :)

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Oops!

Yes I saw that on the live feed on Youtube. Didn't notice at the time just how nice and clean it was underneath... :oops:

My girlfriend's Dad didn't roll his but my aim in life was to roll his daughter! She was a Good Girl he told me... Unlike him, actually. He was caught in flagrante delicto with the night nurse on the surgery couch during a night shift where he worked. She was sacked, he was made foreman.

My cousin had an A35 van and he could park it in very tight spaces by going in nose first. We then got out and got hold of the rear arches and bounced the back into the availble space. Next to no clearance needed for front or rear!

5 minutes ago, Rory's Dad said:

My cousin had an A35 van and he could park it in very tight spaces by going in nose first. We then got out and got hold of the rear arches and bounced the back into the availble space. Next to no clearance needed for front or rear!

Did you have to bounce it back out again when you departed?  :laugh: