Recommend me a Smallish SUV for the Memsahib (and for me, of course

Stuart

Chaps (and chapesses),

My wife's trusty Honda Civic is coming up ten years old now.  It's been an absolutely cracking motor I have to say, but we're gonna change it this year.  We moved to the country a couple of years ago and now live 75m up a track, so a 4x4 looks inviting for that and other reasons.

But, she doesn't want one the size of a small barn.  Neither do I really.  Favourite from what I've found so far is the new Audi Q3 Black Edition with the 184hp diesel.   Like the idea of a manual box but happy to be persuaded otherwise.   (Did briefly look at the RS Q3 but the road tax on it will be about £4k in the first 5 years under the new regime, and I'm not paying the Treasury that!).  But do want something with a bit of grunt, so no less power than the diesel Q3 preferably.

Any recommendations for me?  New or nearly new.  Budget up to c. £35k

Cheers,

Stuart

Check out the new SEAT Ateca. Fantastic car and a huge spec for the money.

Dont get mums a nice car . They are all deadly on school runs and will ram anything to get the kids to school :d. Get a 1 yr old Skoda Yeti. Avoid massive depreciation. Get a petrol unless you do gargantuan mileage. They are decent cars and leaves a lot in the bank for happy family days. We got a one yr old Skoda Citigo, ex Skoda UK car with 5k miles on the clock, . New are 11.2k , we got for 7k. No brainer with 2 years warranty still to go. 

No probs with a late used motor or a Skoda, Thrusty, but the most powerful yeti is 150hp which don't cut it.  You can get some cracking deals on some new motors from brokers though.  And our kids are in their 30s.........

You can get the SEAT with the 190Bhp diesel, but only with the DSG box (which I would recommend anyway), It would also be worth looking at the VW Tiguan as well (i'd again recommend the DSG) , they are very much the same car and I guess the Q3 has the same underpinning.  May be worth looking at the latest Ford Kuga as that is getting good reviews and a look at the BMW X1 is also well worth a look as thats available with a good range of powerful diesel engines.

I have a Mitsubishi ASX with a 2.3 diesel, they have just completed a face lift and with your budget you could get a top range model. I really like mine, all the toys, not too big but has some presence, and now with a 3 year warranty.

56 minutes ago, Stuart said:

No probs with a late used motor or a Skoda, Thrusty, but the most powerful yeti is 150hp which don't cut it.  You can get some cracking deals on some new motors from brokers though.  And our kids are in their 30s.........

Mrs has a 215 bhp XC60 but is smitten with her Citygo with 60 bhp, so HP isnt everything. Try one. If it doesnt work then fine, but you might be surprised like we are with the car.

Why do most 4X4 drivers need 'presence' on the road, is it just to attempt to intimidate everyone else, get a 4x4 Fiat Panda

Toyota RAV4. The series 2 version are very short if 3 door version. The newer series 3s and 4s are not enormous and are brilliant bits of kit. My wife has one and I love driving it

50 minutes ago, Olliebeak said:

Why do most 4X4 drivers need 'presence' on the road, is it just to attempt to intimidate everyone else, get a 4x4 Fiat Panda

Yes, thats exactly why I have one

You don't have to buy a large and tall 4x4's , there are quite normal cars that have 4wd as well.   I have an A3 quattro which is brilliant, you can also buy mb A class and volvo V40 with 4wd as well.