Redundancy Blog

Kyle

Just before Christmas I was officially made redundant from a job of nearly 9 years. As I've worked ever since I came out of sixth form and even valeted cars in the summer during my education, being out of work is a strange affair. Therefore, I thought it might be interesting to keep a blog about my experiences. The link is below in case it's of interest to any of you:

https://aredundantexperience.wordpress.com/

I would certainly appreciate some feedback. Please don't hesitate to comment on the blog if you see fit.

Best regards,

Kyle

Clearly you have too much time on your hands :)

Good luck with the job hunting.

Good luck Kyle. I've been made redundant 3 times in my working life but always managed to find something before I've finished, so I've never been sat idle!

The blog's an interesting idea. Different that standing on a roundabout with a sign asking for a job! 

Use the time whilst building your car to focus on what you want your next job to be and what you're going to do to achieve it.

It might be worth adding your CV to your blog ? and getting a linkedin profile that links to the button on your blog?

Thanks for your feedback Ian. To use the blog as a tool wasn't the initial idea but it's becoming clear that it might be worth doing as you say. I actually study towards a degree part time already but with another 4 years of 6 left I've some way to go to reach my goal.

• Like 1

Good luck Kyle. I am sure it will be good in the end. Never been in your situation , but I believe that certain things are meant to happen in life to make it better.

• Like 1

Well good luck.   Your clearly resourceful and I'm sure you'll find something very soon.   In the mean time use your free time well. Do the jobs around the house you've been meaning to do.   Sort the car out.   Visit friends.   Get fit/ fitter walking, running, cycling.   Do the filling.. Basically if your achieving stuff you'll feel better and in control.   Good luck :)

• Like 1

I would echo the comments. Get details of experience and what you are looking for. Get a link to your CV and anythng that might help.

I found the style well written but be aware if doing this that it is upbeat, lighthearted in getting your feelings across. I saw one of these before and it slipped in to self pity and recrimination easily.

All the best with finding work. 

• Like 1

Good luck with the job search Kyle.

I was made redundant shortly before my 40th birthday and sent off countless job applications mostly without a reply. When I did get the odd reply it could say we think you're over-qualified for this post which still left me on the dole.

Companies were very slow to get around to setting interview dates and then there was always a long delay to find out if you had got the job.

After 4 and a half months I did get a new job; surprisingly through a Job Centre advertisement. A very annoying thing about the Job Centre was that they would (in the old pre-computerised days) have three job cards on the notice board for the same job. One advert under Sales, another under Office and the third under General;  this really got my goat. Now everything is computerised it may not be immediately obvious if multiple job counting is going on.

There were some dark days when I thought I would never get another job but there was light at the end of the tunnel.

If you have any business contacts do get the word out you are available. I think the blog is a great idea and what can impress a potential employer is not only self -improvement courses but also some time volunteering.

Chin up, press on and good luck.

My wife and I both thought we were in safe jobs, and have both been made redundant, twice.

Good luck

I've been made redundant twice.

The first time the company I worked for was taken over and all the staff at my level were made redundant one after another so I sat tight and waited my turn.  My boss called me into the office and told me my role was "at risk",  He came to see me about half an hour later as he was surprised at how well I had taken it, to be honest keeping the big grin off my face had been difficult.  That payout was very healthy thanks very much.

The second time the business was in a complete mess, again, I was extremely happy to be out, the payout wasn't as good but definitely worth having.

Both times, I have quickly found another role and ended up being much better off to boot!

Keep smiling, it will probably work out better in the long run.

Redundancies are doing the rounds where I work too. Thankfully I'm safe for now but it's an unpleasant time for all. 

Good luck. I'll be interested to follow the blog and hope you find something soon. 

Thanks all. Your input and support is much appreciated and it's interesting to hear all your stories of redundancy. There is about 6 or 7 of us that have just been made redundant from the position of Thermal Insulation Engineer, or lagger to the unpretentious. For 8 years I traveled from power station to oil refinery to chemical works to gas plant and everywhere inbetween working on the insulation and sheet metal.

Hi Kyle, I know this wasn't unexpected, but it can't be pleasant, must be frustrating and worrying.

I hope you manage to sort something out to your satisfaction as soon as you want to, meaning you might actually be enjoying a bit of free time in the short term.

Regards

Ian