Trailer test

BenD

Has anyone on here taken the (B+E) trailer test because im a young un

my license doesnt permit me to tow my westie on a trailer well i dont think it does

if i understand the rules properly the gross train weight of car and trailer cannot exceed 3500kgs

so with my astra estate being 2140kgs GTW and even a brian james c2 trailer being 1400kgs GTW then im over by 40kgs

which i know isnt alot but its still over so looks like i need to take the test

so back to the original question has anyone taken it what does it involve.  

i have towed small trailers before so have some towing ecperience and have acces to trailers to practice with do i need lessons of could i get away with just taking the test

any help as always is much appreciated

I'm sure I read somewhere the trailer rules were being simplified, as in its an actual max weight of 3500kgs rather than the stupid plated weights. 

If you didn't want to do the test you can down plate a trailer to say 1300kgs max to get you under. 

I've done the test. I did a days training to be so I knew what the test would involve then half a day before the test for a quick mock run.

Basics such as hitching the trailer safely with a quick inspection beforehand. Then a drive around to check you don't kill anyone with it. And a test back at the centre to reverse the trailer through a 'slalom' and into a garage. You're allowed a 'shunt' but it's not as difficult as it sounds so shouldn't need it.

One word of warning: I did my test in my discovery which is an automatic so have an automatic restriction on my B+Eastwood entitlement. The instructor said I could send a letter to have this removed as the rest of my license is for a manual but I've not bothered yet.

thanks dommo

steve the trouble with plating the trailer down is i wasnt looking at buying a trailer but hiring from a place aroudn the corner.

i do think the weights are a bit silly to be honest my total weight is never going to be anywhere near 3500kgs my astra kerb weight with a few tools and stuff will be 1800kgs max and the trailer say average 400kgs plus westie 700 kgs max.

ill probarbly just go do the test and a days training like dommo says then i havent gotta worry just another expense i didnt really want

othere than that like steve says buy a trailer and get it plated down

You must hold a full driving licence to to drive vehicle and trailer combinations weighing up to 8.25 tonnes. However, if you passed your test between January 1, 1997 and January 19, 2013 then these restrictions apply:

• Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and no more than eight passenger seats (ie: officially dubbed Category B vehicles and are typical cars) with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total Maximum Authorised Mass or MAM).
  • Category B vehicles with larger trailers i.e. more than 750kg, provided that the combined Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the gross MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.
  • Vehicles over 3500kg MAM are classified as large goods vehicles.

i copied that from parkers website can someone calrify what this actually means is the mam the same as gross weight all very confusing

I would just buy a Minno or something if I were you, that's what I've done. You're throwing money away hiring a trailer on a regular basis IMO as good trailers hold their money well.

10 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere the trailer rules were being simplified, as in its an actual max weight of 3500kgs rather than the stupid plated weights. 

If you didn't want to do the test you can down plate a trailer to say 1300kgs max to get you under. 

I hope you're right, will save me a lot of time and pennies on a trailer lessons & test.

Can someone tell me, am I correct in thinking that if say I bought a Range Rover Vogue with an actual  weight of 2467kg and had a trailer + car (combined vehicle weight  of 900kgs) totaling actual weight of 3367kg, I would not be able to tow this because the GVW of the Range Rover is 3230kg? Car 3230kg + Trailer plated to 900kg = 4130kg?? above the 3500kg threshold? Or does it go off actual weigh bridge weight?

As far as I understand it it goes off the gross train weight. My astra estate gross weight is 2140kgs so I can only tow a trailer with a plated gross weight of 1360 before I'm over the gross train weight if 3500