MOT, seats and harnesses

Yanto

At the moment I just have the driver's seat/harnesses fitted as:

a. I have no mates

b. I'm making (badly) a carbon fibre cover for the passenger area.

If I have it MOT'd with just one seat will it be noted as such? and if i subsequently put the passenger seat harness back in will a re-test be required to check them?

Cheers

Ian

MIne just passed its MOT with the passenger harnesss disconnected.  It lies on the passenger seat until neaded (few and far between) to stop the constant jangling noise as the upper connections rattle around.

I would say 2 things:

1. If you find and read up on the apprpriate MOT section you will be able to interpret the "letter of the law" when it comes to seat belts (and seats for that matter)

2: Its entirely down to the attitude of your MOT tester.

In my experience of many years of MOTing (Westfield and Tin-tops) number 2 above tends to prevail.

Hi Iain,

MOT tester can only test a vehicle as presented, if only driver seat fitted, only drivers seat (and belts) are tested. Its a pass & advise, at time of test no passenger seat(or belts) fitted. If you fit a seat in the future it makes no difference to the outcome of the test. 

CJ.

23 minutes ago, CJ63 said:

Hi Iain,

MOT tester can only test a vehicle as presented, if only driver seat fitted, only drivers seat (and belts) are tested. Its a pass & advise, at time of test no passenger seat(or belts) fitted. If you fit a seat in the future it makes no difference to the outcome of the test. 

CJ.

The above answer is entirely correct, the tester should advise that passenger seat not fitted at the time of test and any changes going forward are not relevant to the issued certificate.

Thank you for the prompt replies.  It makes sense that it is just noted, but i wanted to be a bit more certain in my own mind, call it peace of mind :d

Now to find a nice MOT tester (not the one who did my last Westfield).