Pinto + 5 speed box

^Qwerty^

Hi,

Having had my 2ltr Pinto with four speed box for nearly two years, it looks like time to change for a 5 speed. Bogg Brothers are doing the swap for me. Advice and questions wise:

1) Recommendations for where to get a replacement box from

2) Anything to do whilst the engine is out

3) Anything to request 

The engine is standard putting out about 105 at the wheels, but I'm looking to put an unleaded head on with a cam at some point in the future to get a few more bhp, so don't want to have to take the engine out again.

thanks

Mike

If you are after a type 9 'box, I'd suggest ebay, although it depends a bit on what you hope to achieve and your budget. If you hope to find an upgraded used type 9 of the sort of spec. you are after, then on here might be as good a place as any. On the other hand, if you want to get a "new" rebuilt and upgraded 'box then you really need to find an old secondhand 'box in which case ebay is your friend. If you go to the likes of Steve Perks (SPComponents, who designed and produces the Tracsport 'boxes) he will want you to bring him an existing type 9 'box simply because they are getting scarcer, and he doesn't want to be spending his time looking for old gearboxes for rebuilding when he could be building "new" gearboxes. If it were otherwise it would be a waste of his skills and experience.

Head can come off without being removed from the car. As Stephen says about a rebuilt box. Type 9's are getting old and a box from a breaker is unknown and depending on budget, I would get a refurbed box as will save grief in the long term. There are places in the kitcar magazines that do boxes or even try a local place to where you live if you find a project box.