Gearbox oil

Quinten

Now I am finally getting to the stage where things are being put back in their permanent position, I'm left with a few questions with regards to the gearbox.  Having already tried to put engine with gearbox in and failed, I'm going to do the final installation in two parts again; first gearbox, then engine.

Anyway, I'd like to fill the engine with oil before I put it into the car, as the hole in the side panel in the tunnel is not level with the filler.  From previous experience, the gearbox will empty again if you tilt it, but when I am fitting it I should be able to keep it reasonably level.

2017-01-07 15.05.54.jpg

When you fill the gearbox with oil, you top it up until it flows out of the filer hole?  Like with the diff?  Or do you fill it up to a certain capacity and no more?  And once it is filled up, how close is the top of the level with the 'tail' opening?

I can of course also use a tin snip at the filler hole in the picture, but as the gearbox is still coming out anyway, I thought it made more sense to fill it up out of the car...

It will fall out of the A*** of it like it did with your last gearbox, so fill it in place. Yes, the level is the threads on the side.

We changed the gearbox oil last week. Although it was filled from underneath, if you can access the filler hole from your tunnel you can fill it from there. You need a piece of spare hose and a big syringe/plunger as shown in the picture. My gear box is a MT75.

DSC09705.JPG

• Like 1

We just filled it until it overflowed, which was just over 1 litre of oil.

I always fill gearbox first and ( with 2 of us) it takes about 5 secs to feed box into tunnel and in tat time I do not lose any oil 

Is that your garage Julie?!

I was advised to jack it up a little on one side, then to fill in situ to get a little more in.  

Q - make the hole bigger and put an access plate over it or something. You don't want to have to take the gearbox out just to check the oil level in future...

When I have installed the engine and box complete I used a socket that fits over the output shaft to stop oil running out. Just wrap the socket in a disposable glove and it seals enough to keep oil in while it's at an angle. 

Might try installing in two parts this time for a change. 

Gonna do mine soon, lots of in-expensive lube pumps out there...!

Just be careful when googling lube pump

Lube Pump.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers guys and Julie.  I'll probably give it a go out of the car, and will cover the rear tail with a bag or something to be sure to be sure...  I've also enlarged the hole a bit as a plan B.

As a side note, bought 2 bottles of Comma 75W90 GL4 from Amazon for less than £14.  Billy bargain methinks?

It's a messy job however you do it.     I have a large hole in the passenger footwell for checking and filling, a large dummy grommet fills the hole normally.

Make a bung for the prop end with an old yolk from a sierra propshaft with the centre blocked up. Then fill the gearbox and fit it. Quickly remove the bung and insert the prop - simples :-)

Had a better look at my gearbox today and it looks like the filler is well below the tail.  So by my reckoning if I just keep it horizontal enough, it will be spill free ;)

2017-01-14 12.37.41.jpg

Now a quick question for some bonus points:  I've got a gearstick extension fitted and I noticed on some pictures that on that location normally a blanking plug sits.  Now obviously with the extension that can't be, but the question is this, is there much chance of oil escaping through that position?

2017-01-14 12.37.14.jpg

2017-01-14 12.37.24.jpg

2017-01-14 12.38.45.jpg

Oh, and final, final question, on the 2nd picture above, there seems to be another hole in the side.  Does that need something in as well?