Starter motor Zetec / Type 9

Quinten

Need a new starter for my Zetec conversion and am led to believe I need a Lucas LRS 707.  Anyone have a spare they no longer need?

sorry mate I'm not sure of the correct "officially" accepted part number is.  I was not confident enough to spend the money on something i was not sure would fit.  I managed to make the Mondeo one I had fit.  This as a sort term solution (1 year ago) still going strong.

I drilled a new whole in one of the arms..So the hole is a 8 shape with the existing hole.  I jammed the dog out to engage in the flywheel ring.  Marked up where i ideally wanted holes. Then milled clots out the sides of the arms as there was not enough meat to get a complete holes.   Its fitted with big washers.   The solenoid is on the bottom,  which may not be ideal as it is level with the race line sump, and the drain hole is on the top not bottom.   As I say its a temporary solution!...     The major plus was it was free, with the engine! and I had it when I needed it. 

I'm way over budget already (i.e. skint!) so am looking to save a few pennies wherever I can...

A used one would suit me for now Chris...  If it only lasts a year, it will at least keep the Mrs out of my hair for that period...

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Check your LCB thread :)

I did ;)

Cheers Chris.  I've already been offered that one (through Locostbuilders) but dismissed it due to the size.  I'm not convinced that one will fit, and because I'm still fighting the clutch/flywheel situation, even if it fits currently, it may need replacing if I end up with a new flywheel...

• 3 weeks later...

Still looking...  I tried my luck with a starter from Ebay and unfortunately it wasn't a fit (bolt pattern different to my bellhousing).  If anyone needs a ST170 starter, let me know ;) 

Yes, it does help, thanks.  I was convinced the solenoid had to be on the bottom of the starter (to get out of the exhaust harms way), but I see from your images that it is on top.  And it looks like the 3 bolt holes are 45 degrees from each other?

Well it's the one I just put back on mine today. Fits my alloy bellhousing and the std pinto bellhousing I used before that.

Exhaust clears solenoid by a reasonable margin.

Thought I'd take some pics for you while it was off :t-up:

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.