New Years Honours Rant

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Just reading the list of New Years Honours and every year the angry panda roars...

Now I'm all for praising the best of British; having people represent the country with knighthoods etc...

But what has Victoria Beckham done? I like James Nesbitt but OBE?
Should you get an MBE for wining in single gold in a sport you enjoy/ get paid for?

cheers

Panda

It's a national sport to slag off the Beckhams IMHO....

however,  VB has raised a ridiculous amount of money for various charities which is not publicised at all, and I believe this is what the award is for. Services to the fasion industry is more of a cover....

Mart.

The system is flawed of that there is no doubt. A comedian who was a tax cheat gets a Knighthood but a man who held world champion on Motorbike and Car gets nothing. Made even more idiotic when you see how much he has raised for charities over the years especially since his son was killed.

It seems to be now a trend to reward sporting people, Andy Murray wanted independence from England, yet accepts an award, he is a talented player but is that enough?

I would also stop any awards for civil servants, they are paid to do a job, well paid so why then add to it?

There is a man local to us who has raised millions doing marathons etc. for Macmillan, nominated several times, gets nothing but an average actress appears in a Bond film and gets an OBE?

It is time this was stopped and only those not paid to do a job, who do extraordinary things for others would make any list I would draw up.

As for VB, she probably deserved it more than some others as she undoubtedly has made a contribution to charities over the years.

• Like 3

My neighbours daughter got an OBE ( or CBE) for working tirelessly for disabled sports for years and she is justified in receiving this . I suppose the VB thing is the charity involvement , in wake of George Michael departing and truths coming out about how he secretly helped others, is probably the same for VB. Ironically I cant stand the woman , but given that if she does help in charitable things, then hats off to her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerry H said:

Nigel Farage should have been given a knighthood for working tirelessly in the nation's best interest.

62188816.jpg

17 minutes ago, Gerry H said:

Most definitely serious

OK thanks, I'll get back to you in 121 days when I'm allowed to voice an opinion again.

• Like 1

I think we should send Nigel Farage to the USA to work with his mate Trump as I think they are both Muppets!