Tyres

MarkBishop

Hi all

New tyres needed for speed series 2017 and i'm going to try road going with 1b tyres. would like your input on which one's are going to be best

185 front 215's rear

Cheers Mark

Adam and Maurici had good results on Toyo 888 gg compound

• Like 1

But was it the tyres or something else? :d

We'll find out soon enough... Hoping to back to back them with medium 888s sometime.

I fancy trying some ZZS for comparison too. I'm sure they'll be more suited to our cars given what they are developed on.

• Like 1

What year is your car? if its pre 1990 then go with ACB10's :-)

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late on my answer...

Our compound was SG, not GG and is being hard to find nowadays.

However, Steve Carpenter has had some pretty close results to me with 888R (the newer version), with a car that in theory should be slower. So, part of good driving, but for sure 888R are decent also!  

I'm going to make the jump back from ZZR this year. I've used the 888 in SG many years ago and they were a good tyre but not a patch on the ZZRs or A048s. 

Really can't decide to go back to 888s or try some of the new types.

Probably suggest the 888 in sg compound if you can find them.

I was only on R1R's and my times were not as 'Lardy' as my Westie would have predicted! 

So once you move off the full 1C soft sprint tyres, I do wonder how much difference there is in reality between the various 1B options. Only direct back to back comparisons of 1Bs on same Westfield same day same conditions will really tell us. 

The only tyre designed for 7 type cars (specifically Caterhams) on the list 1B is the Avon ZZR / ZZS.

51 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

So once you move off the full soft sprint tyres, I do wonder how much difference there is in reality. Only direct back to back comparisons on same Westfield same day same conditions will really tell us. 

My guess would be 2-3 seconds a minute for a sprint / from cold.

This isn't same day, but similar conditions... Blyton in the same car 2 years running but first time on soft ZZRs and the next time on soft 888s. The ZZRs are much quicker even though my lap is better on the 888s:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5874a7fc165ce-comparison-of-blyton-sprint-tyres.php

The main thing I can remember is that you can get onto the power much earlier and harder with the ZZRs, whereas you need to 'coerce' the 888s to grip. Might be less difference on a car with less power.

Only experience of the ZZS is from speaking with Stephen Everall - they looked barely worn at the end of the season, I'm sure he or Terry could advise better on those but after seeing them & speaking to Stephen I'd avoid them.

• Like 1

On 29 December 2016 at 19:39, John said:

What year is your car? if its pre 1990 then go with ACB10's :-)

Does this mean with the Pre-Lit build completed and on the road some point in 1989 I can run ACB10's in road going class because they are a !b tyre. I think I have 6 in the garage that I brought for doing track days just never used them.

thanks

43 minutes ago, syman84 said:

Does this mean with the Pre-Lit build completed and on the road some point in 1989 I can run ACB10's in road going class because they are a !b tyre. I think I have 6 in the garage that I brought for doing track days just never used them.

thanks

Check the blue book but that was certainly the case last year. Not sure I would want to use old ACB10s though. Newer = softer

4 hours ago, BCF said:

Probably suggest the 888 in sg compound if you can find them.

Are they not available new anymore? 

I bought Stephen Herbert's sprint car late in 2015 (270HP Duratec) which came with ZZR soft tyres.  I then bought another set of wheels and fitted ZZS as 1b tyres for the 2016 sprint season.  The car was new to me and a jump up from my previous 160HP Zetec, so lots more power to get used to.  I have had the chance to run both set of tyres and the ZZRs's give lots of grip, especially when warm. 

My first time out on the brand new un-scrubbed ZZS's was in January last year at Silverstone on a cold and wet day and it was quite scary with the lack of grip (wheelspin easily in 4th).  The track dried during the afternoon and it could at least scrub them in a bit.  Next up was a trackday at Rockingham the day before the first sprint in March.  This time I was able to scrub them in properly.

It was my first ever sprint so I can't really base any comparison with my times, but Steven Laing was in my class with a Caterham R500D and had also switched from ZZR to ZZS last year.  As Adam said, his times were 3 seconds slower than 2015 (and Stephen Herbert was slightly quicker by a few tenths at that event).  I competed with Steven again at the Abingdon CARnival in June where he won the class but was also 2-3 seconds slower than last year (warmer day).  Toby Hall was another competitor running similar times to Steven in his bike engined Fury with R888R's which he rated.

Doing a couple of trackdays on the ZZS's definitely helped before sprinting with them but they are not going to give the same level of grip as supersoft ZZR.  From my limited experience the ZZS seem to be capable of competitive times for current 1b tyres - if I were to try anything else it would probably be the R888R's.