So, what broke over Christmas ?

Thrustyjust

The boiler, and it was a cold Christmas, didn't have a maintenance contract so really struggled to get anyone out faster than a week!  It will be no surprise that we got a contract after that.

I broke a tooth on Xmas eve. Not been to the dentist yet, the alcohol is keeping the Pain at bay :laugh:

2 hours ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

I broke a tooth on Xmas eve. Not been to the dentist yet, the alcohol is keeping the Pain at bay :laugh:

Current wife is a dental nurse and has been rushed off her feet this week due to people breaking teeth over xmas and also having tooth pain for the last 3 weeks and think they better get it looked at now !!  She hasnt been very sociable !! I even cancelled my appointment for a check up to let someone else have a repair . 

Who is this lucky girl, Bet, then Blatters? :getmecoat:

Girls... :blush: 

Hence the slightly wobbly typing... :oops:

Well I hope they were a good bet, but not too 'good' IYSWIM :xmas:

My electric gate motor decided to become stubborn and only open & close the gate sometimes.  Motor won't start until given a bit of manual assistance then works fine.  Colder it gets the more erratic it gets.  I'm hoping its the motor run capacitor (£5) rather than a new motor (£260)

4 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Well I hope they were a good bet, but not too 'good' IYSWIM :xmas:

Understood and yes, they weren't too good :oops::xmas: 

Oooh!  ménage à trois! :d

My neighbour has a manege, but I don't think that's quite the same - she has horses in hers... :o

Woken by the Good Lady at 05:15 this morning with the news that the radiator in the en suite was stone cold. I was utterly convinced she'd misread the digital alarm clock and it was 03:15. Woe is me, but it was true! :( 

A long story of panic later and courtesy of the fault finding flow chart in the installer's manual, I concluded that the fan was at fault. No way was I going to shell out c.£125 for a new one before I'd had a go at the existing one, so I whipped it off and stripped it to its underwear and found it was partially seized. With the help of solvent and oil, the bearings were cleaned up and lubricated. Ét voila! Fan runs, boiler starts, and all is warm once more. These things only ever happen at the most inconvenient times - like the drain blockage just before Xmas that took a jetting to clear, and again last Wednesday (tree roots). My son and his fiancée are over here from Oz until mid-month and they're used to 37ºC so a cold bedroom in January in England is no fun at all! 

The drain crew are back on Wednesday to line the sewer...

On 1/7/2017 at 19:39, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

The drain crew are back on Wednesday to line the sewer...

Her's hoping they get to the root of the problem :cry:

No, Bernie, they will probably only go through the motions... ;)

Motco - total thread drift, but could you tell me if your neighbour has floodlights on the manege and if so, does she have planning permission for them and what is their spec? Little local problem here. Thanks, Stuart

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Motco - total thread drift, but could you tell me if your neighbour has floodlights on the manege and if so, does she have planning permission for them and what is their spec? Little local problem here. Thanks, Stuart

No, Stuart, she doesn't have any lighting as far as I can tell. I haven't ever seen evidence of any and my sitting room has a good view of her paddock, stable, and the manege so I would see them. It's in the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) so it is highly unlikely that she would obtain permission because of the parish council's dark skies policy. Sorry, cannot help... 

On 1/9/2017 at 19:02, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

No, Bernie, they will probably only go through the motions... ;)

Eeeeuuuuwwwww... :oops: