Insurance Frustrations

colsmac

I would just like to let people know of this frustrating renewal with new insurers, A Plan. I'll keep this short and to the point.

Received a call from insurance brokers, A Plan, that my new insurance had an additional charge of approx £38.

Why?... you did not inform us of a claim on 31st December 2015?

I didn't enter a claim, only inform my Van insurers that someone had run into the rear of my van causing minor damage and that he wanted to pay for the repair himself. I only notified my insurer Provident, to protect myself....just in case he didn't stick to his word.

Of course I countered with A Plan that there was no insurance pay out and the chap had settled the repair bill of £350, so why is this a claim?

Apparently, this "claim" has been registered with CUE database,  "Highway" the underwriters had said, because I did not tell A Plan of this "claim" I  have been charged an additional £38. 

A Plan had recommended that I call Provident to prove this and email/letter to the fact .  Provident stated that, 1. This was a non fault incident. 2. It was for information purposes only.  3.No record of monies were paid. Provident also confirmed that this information was on the CUE database. This was all completed. A Plan called back, to say that the document had been received but they still wanted £38.

I'm sure you can imagine, I was beginning to lose it now. There was never a "claim" only information to protect me. Why was I being penalised for wanting to protect myself? Yes, but you did not tell us, of this event? Even tho there was no monetary value to insurers?

After much arguing with the third customer service agent,  he said he would talk to his manager..........that only after I told him that I was a member of Westfield and RHOCAR Kit car clubs.

They dropped the charge of £38. 

Oh, by the way, the insurers said that this information cannot be removed from CUE database. 

I had renewed my van insurance in September, with no calls from them regarding this so called "claim".

It's left a bitter taste to say the least. I doubt this will ever happen to me again, so thought this experience could be helpful to others?

A Plan are brokers so it'll be the underwriters rather than A Plan themselves won't it?

Unless I'm missing the point. You were involved in an accident in 2015 that you failed to declare when obtaining a quotation and taking out insurance.

whether you claimed on your policy or not you still should declare it when asked the question "have you had an accident or claim within the last ....years"

Your insurer has checked the CUE database and found that you were involved in an accident that you'd failed to declare to them and therefore decided that an additional premium was applicable.

whether you "claimed" against their insurer or you "claimed" directly from the person who did the damage a "claim" was still made and money changed hands to cover the costs of repair.

Yes if you notify your insurer of an 'accident' whether a claim or not it will be recorded.

Your unknowing non declaration to the underwriter will be seen as with holding information and they could have decided to decline insurance which would be much worse for you insurance profile.

David

This kind of thing does grate, but yes having to be truthful about every incident whether a claim made or not is all about risk profiling.

I still have to inform vehicle insurers about hail damage to two cars in June 2012, these claims although not my fault are deemed as "at fault" because I can't lay the blame on anybody else, so i'm still being penalised for having my cars parked on my drive (as declared parking area) when a whacking great thunderstorm decides to visit the area.

I saw a case on TV where a guy paid for window glass replacement on his VW after it had been smashed by a vandal who wasn't traced. As it wasn't worth making a claim because of the size of the excess he didn't inform his insurers of the incident.

Months later the car was stolen and written off. The insurance company sent round a loss adjuster who casually asked if the customer had ever had any previous trouble with the car and the claimant (honestly and without thinking) mentioned the smashed glass he had paid for. The loss adjuster left and in the post arrived a letter refuting the total loss claim as the policy was invalid because a previous incident which could have resulted in a claim had not been declared and the Ombudsman backed the insurer.

Take care out there.

The other sad case was the grand parents who had a grand child living with them and there was a house fire.  The grand child had a criminal record.  Because this was not declared their insurance was considered invalid as a material fact not notified to them.

Done that got the T shirt. If it's minor don't tell the insurance company, it's a whole load of pain

Disagree with Terry - but maybe OK if there were no witnesses.  

I had a slither on sheet ice into the back of a painters old Focus Estate.  No damage to my car but a bit of a dint on the Focus.  The painter said not to worry and drove off.  I did tell my insurers just in case the decorator changed his mind.  Did not make any difference to my Premium.

10 hours ago, Terryathome said:

Done that got the T shirt. If it's minor don't tell the insurance company, it's a whole load of pain

Not that simple with stuff. When I looked for a recent insurance renewal, they 'all' knew of the windscreen I had last year, as even thats on a data base !! I have to advise them of a no fault claim for the full five years.......