Drag Racing

Yanto

I know drag racing is not a track day per se.

After reading about drag racing in the latest mag, and historical stuff in the SEight web site, and not forgetting Geefin writing about the Megawatt electric drag "sledgehammer" I was wondering if the WSCC had ever held a WSCC only drag day?

I was also wondering if anybody fancied having a go at it, more as a fun day?

Cheers

Ian

Does sound like it'd be fun, & something a little bit different.

Not dedicated days, but the Cotswold area get out to a run what you brung day at Shakespeare County a few times a year. Really hoping to make one next year - should finish a set of tyres off nicely!

One or two Areas have done trips to run what you brung day's over the years. And I know a few members that have got into it.

Nothing formal at national club level has been arranged in the last fourteen odd years that I know of, could be fun to do, though worryingly addictive/expensive I suspect :laugh:

Other than the obvious Santa Pod and an (1/8" I think) at Silverstone that we discovered last year, I don't even know what tracks we have in this country or what format events are run in; for instance, can you have "call outs" at run what you brung day's?

"gee_fin" Graeme's yellow Hayabusa Turbo vs Dan Johnson's blue MegaWatt electric on 1/8th mile drag strip on Barbados.  The winning time is just over 6 seconds.

Funny I was thinking about this last night, an airport in the South has offered me access for some high speed runs on their runway. Wouldn't take a great leap to organise a charity drag day...

North Weald near Epping have run what you brung as well. No professional teams or dedicated drag cars there, just for the public.   They have about 6 meets a year and don't stop if it rains.    Events are organised by Maitland Racing.  http://www.maitlandracing.com/north-weald-test-tune-calendar/

39 minutes ago, Dommo said:

Not dedicated days, but the Cotswold area get out to a run what you brung day at Shakespeare County a few times a year. Really hoping to make one next year - should finish a set of tyres off nicely!

The write up is in this Winters WSCC Mag 

We'll be running it again next year (2017) as well, it a great fun day, you get print outs of all your timings as well (reaction time, 1/4 mile time, etc etc)

I know Santa Pod require arm restraints for open cars, so I'm guessing that all venues are the same?

For those that have done it what form do they take, simple rope tied around each wrist and sit on it?

Ian

I may be interested in this - provisos are:

1. No noise checks (I'm probably over 106db but not by far)
  2. No MSA "rules" (not that I'm anti MSA but they're killing the sport imho)
  3. Minimum of 10 Westfields "entered" per "event"
  4. Events held at Santa Pod, Elvington, North Weald, Shakespeare County (and any other good straight line tarmac !!)
  5. Should be more of a good "craic" than anything mega serious !

I've been looking at the speed series but things have moved on since I last sprinted and raced 15 years ago - to the point it's very difficult to justify the up front costs (and almost annual rule changes / costs thanks to the MSA) - I'd like to do something that's "fun" and semi competitive but without the complexity and cost of the MSA regulated Speed Series (no disrespect to those that compete in it :))

Colin

14 minutes ago, tisme said:

I may be interested in this - provisos are:

1. No noise checks (I'm probably over 106db but not by far)
  2. No MSA "rules" (not that I'm anti MSA but they're killing the sport imho)
  3. Minimum of 10 Westfields "entered" per "event"
  4. Events held at Santa Pod, Elvington, North Weald, Shakespeare County (and any other good straight line tarmac !!)
  5. Should be more of a good "craic" than anything mega serious !

I've been looking at the speed series but things have moved on since I last sprinted and raced 15 years ago - to the point it's very difficult to justify the up front costs (and almost annual rule changes / costs thanks to the MSA) - I'd like to do something that's "fun" and semi competitive but without the complexity and cost of the MSA regulated Speed Series (no disrespect to those that compete in it :))

Colin

Why don't you try the Javelin Sprint Series then? (Non MSA Rules)

The day we do at Shakespeare County every year is a relaxed day and you can race your mates or even full blow drag cars. 

https://www.facebook.com/ken.philps.3/videos/1182355598480775/

ok, many thanks - will take a look ...

WSCC any thoughts on a "mini series" (within a series even)  ???????