Heating Oil

TAFKARM

For Oil fired it's a toss up between Worcester and Grant for boilers. I've stuck with Worcester and not been disappointed and Which? agrees with that, too.  LPG is expensive and you use more because it has a lower calorific value when you burn it - I'd say you are doing the right thing.  

I have a 220m2 house, warm water underfloor heating down stairs and rads upstairs and I get through approx 2000ltrs per year.  I tend to get a quote from Boiler Juice on line then phone around locals to see how they compare.  Locals usually just beat BJ so I use them.

Well we're committed - oil install starts first week of Jan. 

(LPG bill for November.....£304)

2 hours ago, RussH said:

Well we're committed - oil install starts first week of Jan. 

(LPG bill for November.....£304)

I'm sure you've dome the right thing then Russ.  I topped the oil tank up with 800l last week.  Cost me £311.  Won't need to buy any more until something like next August.....

• 3 weeks later...

LPG bill for December .... £277

Oil install starts today as does the replacement of the chimney liner for the woodburner. Contractors have all just started to arrive.... :d 

Naturally. And biscuits. A happy workman is a fast working workman!

• 11 months later...

To update the thread almost a year on, just had 1742 litres delivered which cost around £900. Not too bad for a years use, but I think my oil install is looking at a 6 year payback rather than 4. Nb: That's with the multifuel stove in the lounge acting as the primary source of heating for the whole house.

A local firm, rang round a few before I committed....

I know I should use BoilerJuice.

I used to recommend boilerjuice but I've just bought 1000 litres and did some shopping around and found that every other heating oil comparison site was cheaper. I then found a local company who were significantly cheaper again, so all I'd say is it's worth shopping around rather than just buying from one source. I saved about £75 on the order Vs boilerjuice and could have saved another £25 had we been willing to wait a couple of weeks for delivery.