Heating Oil

TAFKARM

Long story short, I'm looking to convert from LPG to an  Oil fired boiler.

The last part of my sums that I'm not 100% sure on is usage - I appreciate it can vary dramatically but I'd be interested to know how many litres people are using. The house is 1800 sq ft and I work from home. 

Our house is about 2000 sq ft.  Is zoned upstairs/downstairs so can have either or both running.  We're retired so home a lot of the time and we use max 1500 litres per year.  2 year old Worcester Heatslave II 25-32 (which is a great boiler).  Condensing boiler so that's hot water too

Thats Stuart, that sounds similar to our set up so i a good base for my figures. 

Who do you use as a supplier? 

Just a curved ball - have you thought of using an electric "boiler" for the central heating etc - they really appear to have advanced a lot recently and with the prices of oil / gas etc being fairly volatile (oil especially?) I think I'd consider electric if (or when) our gas boiler gives up the ghost. Electricity looks so simple and clean to install and no worrying about having tanks to refill?

https://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/

I'm not a particularly green person but I can see a day when we'll be held to ransom over fossil fuels.....

https://www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil-prices/

Russ I used to call around a few local suppliers but for the last 3 or 4 fills I've found Boilerjuice to be up to 4p a litre cheaper than the local guys (link in tisme's post).  This time, however. Fuel Tool were a couple of pence per litre cheaper than Boilerjuice.  They haven't delivered yet so not sure what service is like though.  Incidentally - I grew up in Kiveton Park and spent many youthful hours in Harthill.

Small world Stuart, I popped up to harthill this afternoon. Lovely bit of the world.

In other news, is it a bit sad I'm excited by my oil conversion project? It will have paid for itself in 4 years I think...

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Russ I used to call around a few local suppliers but for the last 3 or 4 fills I've found Boilerjuice to be up to 4p a litre cheaper than the local guys (link in tisme's post).  This time, however. Fuel Tool were a couple of pence per litre cheaper than Boilerjuice.  They haven't delivered yet so not sure what service is like though.  Incidentally - I grew up in Kiveton Park and spent many youthful hours in Harthill.

Whow, i grew up in Wales, went to Wales High school, girlfriend in Harthill - many moons ago....

(for those who think i've gone barking mad; Wales is the next village to Kiveton, Wales High school is in Kiveton, and just to confuse matters Rhodesia is just down the road)

ETA: Sorry Russ for going off at a tangent, can't help with fuel as it's 16 years since I bought any oil.

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Our house is about 2000 sq ft.  Is zoned upstairs/downstairs so can have either or both running.  We're retired so home a lot of the time and we use max 1500 litres per year.  2 year old Worcester Heatslave II 25-32 (which is a great boiler).  Condensing boiler so that's hot water too

Eek, reckon I need a new boiler - I use a little over 3000l per year on a similar sized bungalow!

We used about 2500 at our old smaller house with a 1988 vintage boiler. Bloke up the road from me has a black & white place with an old boiler and uses 12000 litres a year!

Hi Russ. Agree with the Boilerjuice comment. We use a lot of oil. House about 2500 sq ft and built by a farmer in 1809. Added double glazed wooden sash windows, insulated the loft and some walls are now timber panelled with insulation behind. Oil guzzler AGA but would be without it. New Worcester Bosch condensing combi 25/32 - the largest they do. We get through at least 4 tank fulls a year so 4800 ltrs.

11 hours ago, RussH said:

The last part of my sums that I'm not 100% sure on is usage - I appreciate it can vary dramatically but I'd be interested to know how many litres people are using. 

So just assume anywhere from 1500l to 12000l, Russ. Hopefully that firms things up for you :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. Two heating engineers have recommended he Worcester 25/32 for us so that's good to know!

We're on oil for heating and hot water, no idea on the sq ft of our house but you've been there! Just checked my boilerjuice account and we use between 1500 - 2000 litres a year. I've only used boilerjuice for purchasing as it has always been the most competitive, although that may have changed. Also they do a group buy function where they notify you if people locally have placed orders and you get more savings if you all order at the same time, so my neighbours and I let each other know when we're buying.

We've moved and now have an Aga which uses oil like it's going out of fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a vacuum in the oil tank. Don't ask me for specific numbers though-I'm trying not to count...