Racing simulators.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

A gaming pc looks out of the question on cost alone. 

I was musing on a similar subject recently and how much a high spec PC would cost, and then thought about it slightly differently...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-CS24-NV7-Twin-Quad-Core-Rack-Server-AMD-2-1GHz-16GB-RAM-SATA-RAID-/121891521007?hash=item1c614d01ef:g:0~UAAOSwB4NWvF-d

Noisier than a PC and no HDMI out but it has LOTS of compute power potential with room for plenty of RAM and HDD's. If you have somewhere to stash it I doubt you'll find more compute power for less money. If you're OK with VGA then I think this is hard to beat.

6 hours ago, bunje said:

i may get it for the ps4 aswell then how much was the steering wheel if you dont mind me asking

180 from pc world (steering wheel and pedals), I also have the logitech driving force shifter (you can get all 3 for 220 pounds atm) but to be honest not using the shifter much as the paddle shift on the steering wheel is very good :t-up:

I may look into the steering wheel the Marcus thanks.

How would the server linked above work blatman as it only has 32mb of video ram does it work different to a graphics card. because each one of my gfx cards has 6gb of video ram 

daft question blatman but will that work "just like a PC"? if you catch my drift... i.e plug it in a shove a copy of win10 on it.

my experience of servers is very limited other than I had one in an office once and it was bl**** noisy. the hotter it got the louder it got as the fans got faster and the office was Baltic as we had to keep it at 17 .... "to protect the server" :) 

I've never tried re-purpossing old servers for games machines, but have done plenty for use outside their rolls, either reusing "big-iron" rack mount servers, for small business server applications, or free standing business servers, as effectively high power pc's.

The rack mount jobs always used to be the most awkward, in particular the one and two u IBM's and Dell's. They were a miracle of packaging and airflow management - you could see why bare chassis could be costing thousands of pounds before they even saw a drive, processor or memory.

The side effect of this was a number of semi proprietary busses and card slots that often meant only one or two more generic card slots available for alternative hardware and even these sometimes sat on custom risers. In turn, this could leave you very driver dependent on the original manufacturer. Which, as much of the big-iron stuff I used to be able to get hold of tended to be ex-data centre and similar, meant that the hardware, peripherals etc tended to be optimized for high data throughput or software dependent multi threading etc - once I did a few IBM 2U units for small businesses locally, they had twin Pentium Pro processors, giving four equivalent processors, these things would originally have cost over £7000 a piece, before we re purposed them in the early 2000's, they would absolutely fly file serving and running Exchange, without even breaking into a sweat. Yet stick a copy of Office on one and it would creak.

I've found the stand alone servers to be much more flexible when it comes to re-purpossing, drivers can sometime still be an issue, but there seems much less customisation on the mother boards etc, other than for robustness. Though most do sound like vacuum cleaners when they start up, or if the full fan set cuts in at high speed, when they're running, for any reason!!

when my graphics cards are at full chat you carnt hear the sound from the speakers over it thats why i always wear a headset.

it would still be interesting to see how much of the graphics a server pc could handle.

i assume the vram is the same as vram used in graphics cards and in my current setup i have 3 nvidia titan graphics cards which each have 6gb of gddr5
running in SLI. they run my ultrasharp monitor nicley but soome of the new games are becoming more memory hungry and wont be long before im well behind the times and need to upgrade. even though my graphics cards are well out dated they still perform well and were worth the 800 pounds each investment at the time.

but if your serious about building a gaming pc to run the latest games at full spec your gonna need a serious budget.

and its not just your graphics cards that cost the money

once you start adding ssd drives and massive power supplies to run everything. fast memory and watercooled coolers all cost money and it soon mounts up

thats why for the money i dont think you can go wrong with an xbox or a ps4

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bunje said:

I may look into the steering wheel the Marcus thanks.

How would the server linked above work blatman as it only has 32mb of video ram does it work different to a graphics card. because each one of my gfx cards has 6gb of video ram 

No idea! It was an option to think of in place of an "ordinary" desktop rather than as a replacement for a full bore gaming set up.

daft question blatman but will that work "just like a PC"? if you catch my drift... i.e plug it in a shove a copy of win10 on it.

Should do. O/S is a personal choice and if it was me I'd run it on Win 7 Pro.

This is a proper simulator. Ex Damon hill car 

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, popmotorsport382 said:

This is a proper simulator. Ex Damon hill car 

image.jpeg

Now that is a racing sim. It just needs a coffee table.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alex_Gaskin said:

Hi, sorry for having to PM you like this, but with the new forum update, my free account isn't allowed to reply to the topic for some reason...

I have an Xbox One, and have been playing racing games for around 5 years, I am kind of biased as I have only owned an Xbox, however, in most peoples opinion the Forza Motorsport series is the best of the racing simulators. I've had every Forza game that has been released and in my opinion 6 is the best for driving feel. I am currently sitting in the top 100 drivers in 'P' Class (Mostly made up of Le Mans cars since the Porsche 962a) on Forza Motorsport 6.

I also own Project Cars, which to be fast in you really have to mess around with the force feedback and steering dead zones. On the Xbox One, Project Cars is less updated than on the the PC, but the Track list (For a Brit) is great as they have tracks such as: Donington, Silverstone, Snetterton, Brands Hatch, Oulton and Cadwell. The car list is a bit sparse on Xbox One, but the cars available are still pretty amazing.

A driving game that is less known is Assetto Corsa, personally, I have not played this but the graphics are monumental, and the feel of the game is very good apparently!

Unfortunately, I do not have the space for a full Wheel/Pedals setup in my room, but I am aware that they improve the game vastly.

Regards,
-Alex Gaskin (son of Howard Gaskin)

i also have asseto corsa but it was in early build stages last time i played it but was still a very good game.

driveclub was also a good game if your looking for an arcade racer. had a lot of fun on that one

There is only one race car sim for my money . and its called Grand Prix Legends , IMO its the best ,  not easy to drive at first until you get the feel for the cars ,

I have been racing GPL since it first came out in 1986 and began racing in on line leagues soon after , current league I am in is called UKGPL  the servers are free thanks to he enthusiasts who host the races 

http://www.ukgpl.com/

Athough GPL was launched years ago , since then the cars , tracks,  and graphics have been constantly upgraded . Its not modern F1 but based on the original 1967 F1 cars later upgrades have 1965, 66 & 69 era F1   and more recently Sports racing & GT cars .

you will need an original papyrus GPL CD which costs buttons from ebay or amazon etc, you can  dowload the demo disk for free , but need the papyrus cd to run the full simm .

there are several leagues you can join and race against people from all over the globe , 

A wheel and pedals is essential , most of us use Logitec G25 or the later 27 though the pro's use some more expensive kit .

http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=5603#entry44882

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand-Prix-Legends-PC-CD-x/dp/B000062VQK