Racing simulators.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

Winter's here, salty roads and a bit of ice around. So the Westie isn't out as much but still have that urge. (No, not that urge, the other one).

And as Chrimbo approaches thoughts turn to pressies and the idea of a racing simulator came to mind.

Any advice would be welcomed on various aspects, such as a PS4, Xbox One or pc as the platform? The two games that look interesting are Forza 6 and F1 2016. I've seen three monitor set-ups, is that worth considering, or is one monitor adequate? Thrustmaster and Logitech seem to be the names for steering wheel and pedals, with the latter being a bit cheaper.

So, any thoughts, need to get some practise in quick as I've just sent my cv to Toto.

I have f1 on ps4  I've had everyone for the last few years and this on is by far the best  Its hard on ps4 with a controller but I borrowed a steering wheel from my mate and it's really good.

If your starting from scratch with the three monitor setup your gonna need some serious power to run anywhere near close to the top settings of any game. I have a 32inch monitor and 3 top of the range graphics cards and can just about play everything on full specs. xbox or ps4 by far the cheapest and easiest way 

Also you can't get forza on ps4 but the new xbox one does look good and Microsoft have started to cross platform there games so one big online community for pc and xbox. pc games are cheaper than there coubterparts but the hardware required to run them is alot more expensive  unless of course you already have a top end pc 

Playseat made good chairs and setups back in the day. I've been out of the PC gaming for a while and only just getting back into it. Picked up Project CARS cheap enough - started karting and am braking too hard and ending up backwards so that reflects real life for me :d

Might be worth googling playset and seeing what options come up. You'll find setups suitable for console and PC.

Ive got project cars on PS4, its a very good game with circuits like Silverstone, spa, nurburg etc and lot of street circuit etc, loads of car types.

I bought a logitech G29 steering wheel (force feedback and worth it) with pedals (3) and gear stick, made my own playseat out of an old office chair and various other bits in the garage... its chuffin awesome :)

mb playseat.jpg

That looks wicked Marcus. 

I have project cars on pc have they fixed the bugs on it now. 

When I played it last the car I was driving once the tyres were worm out and I pitted after I left the pits the tyres were at 700 degrees and just worn out instantly 

Nice setup Marcus, that looks good.

Leaning towards an Xbox One, good reviews, but to be honest there isn't much to choose between the Microsoft and Sony offerings. A gaming pc looks out of the question on cost alone. Plan to use my office chair and desk initially but quite fancy a chassis with seat etc. Winter project?

If you're planning on getting a wheel and pedals double check they'll work with whichever platform you'll use. They have different formats.

I like my xbox one and all of the Forza games. I dare say I'd like the PS4 and GT if I had it too. I don't think either console has a killer feature over the other this generation.

For me, Forza is the ultimate racing simulator, having said that I opted for a PS4 this time. I've never used a wheel but a few of my mates have got them and they said it completely transforms the game. I've been to a place that ran a 3 screen setup and wanted to do something similar back home, but I don't think its possible to do this with a console setup.

When is the releade of the next gran tourismo set for? They've not done anything for a while now.

i wouldnt bank on grand turismo coming out when they say it will the last one took about 4 years longer than there initail release date

On 12/4/2016 at 10:51, bunje said:

That looks wicked Marcus. 

I have project cars on pc have they fixed the bugs on it now. 

When I played it last the car I was driving once the tyres were worm out and I pitted after I left the pits the tyres were at 700 degrees and just worn out instantly 

mines OK on the ps4, Ive got the game of the year edition more cars and circuits.

I have  noticed a couple of car types make the steering feel strange and juddery, must be to do with the force feedback, but with so many cars to choose from its not a problem

6 hours ago, bunje said:

i wouldnt bank on grand turismo coming out when they say it will the last one took about 4 years longer than there initail release date

I remember it well!! GT 3 was the show stopper in the series for me, remember that advert? They just parked the car up to show off the graphics.

It's was an awesome game  I still have it and play it from time to time on the old ps2 

I enjoyed gt4 aswell where you could buy second hand cars in your sort of career