Rosberg worthy F1 champion 2016?

DonPeffers

The announcement suggests to me that he isn't really what I would call a true racer. If he was surely he would want to carry on?

That's taken me entirely by surprise! It is logical when you think about it... and he's played the logical approach all season.

Maybe it's so he can concentrate on rebuilding his friendship with Lewis :p

maybe it was planned even if he didnt win the world championship. must be tough on his family with him being all around the world most weekends he hasnt long had a child

It was only 4 months ago Rosberg signed a new 2 year contract with Mercedes.

When Prost retired in 1993 after becoming champion it was his 4th F1 title.

Certainly didn't see this coming as I felt sure he would be back with added confidence and the only pondering I was doing was whether he would use the no. 1 on his car as champion or stick with the no. 6.

In some ways I'm surprised and others I'm not. He'd been racing for 25 years and at the top in F1 it's a hell of a slog, so now he will have more time with his young family. He's probably got more than enough cash anyway, so if he hasn't got the drive to push hard anymore what's the point. We all get there at some time and it's best to recognise it and stop than blindly carry on. 

Whilst I'm philosophically musing ... (better than the p******** off angry of yrsterday) it's no different to those of us who enjoy building over driving. How many have finished a build ... driven for a bit and then start tinkering. Or sell up and build again/something else. 

I think it shows how badly Rosberg lost the psychological battle as well as every head to head he ever had on track with Lewis.

He knows he had the run of luck with reliability. He was 40+ points ahead at the half way stage and 30 odd points adrift at two thirds. If Lewis hadn't had the mechanicals Rosberg would have been nowhere near and he knows it. He signed the new deal because even at that stage he was not confident he could beat Lewis. And even the team got involved, moving engineers from Lewis to Rosberg in the latter stages, I suspect as much to try to mess with Lewis as anything else.

In other words, Rosberg was beaten in every way except in the points tally.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2016 at 17:04, Blatman said:

n other words, Rosberg was beaten in every way except in the points tally.

..........but that is all that matters!

Let's face it - Lewis bottled it with his starts when it mattered; Racing can always be decided on mechanical failures (who's to say they weren't Lewis's fault?)but you make your own luck and Lewis wasn't good enough this year.

Rosberg might have decided to quit because he hates working with a pretentious team mate? 

• Like 2

Lewis can screw up his starts, and even start the race in mid-field and still win. His bad starts were as a grain of sand in the eye of the Almighty compared with a blown engine when he's leading, or a car that breaks and leaves him with no points.

• Like 1

People forget that he had the 'rub of the green' in previous years where mechanical reliability mattered:

Table below shows 'Non-scores due to mechanical problems ' : (Note: Rosberg has had 2 x the mechanical failure rate of Lewis whilst at Mercedes), Just goes to show that Lewis, whilst fast and like his supporters 'blocks out the past'.

Lewis Hamilton Nico Rosberg
2013 0 3
2014 2 3
2015 1 2
2016 1 0
Total 4 8

Well, the real test of who is the quickest would surely be which of them has the highest number of pole positions?

Historical stats are fair enough but it reinforces my point that Rosberg won by just 5 points even with the rub of the green. Rosberg was many tens of points adrift in the other seasons. And Stephen makes a good point. Who has the most poles, wins and fastest laps to his name? And why is it that Lewis is paid double what Rosberg is? When that sort of money is on the table "you get what you pay for" goes right out the window and moves to "buying success". Lewis has provided way more success than Rosberg and I suspect represents much better value for money than Rosberg, despite the "natural" advantage of a German driving for a German team.

Did anyone see the Mercedes ad in this weeks Autosport? I sent in my CV :d

No one is disputing Lewis is faster - but the faster doesn't always win - history has taught us that many times over.

Don't forget that the rule banning 'pit radio advice to driver' changed mid-year and as a result Hamilton got no help resetting a malfunctioning gearbox in Baku ending up 5th but by the time Silverstone came round and Rosberg had a gear selection problem he did get help and only a 10 second penalty which dropped him one place in the finishing order.

I am firmly of the opinion there should be no rule changes during the season as there will always be winners and losers; the rules should be the rules until the start of the next season.

Without the Malaysia engine fire the season end points result could have been LH 405 & NR 382. For Nico to win the title he would then have had to place 1st in the last 4 races where he placed 2nd.

Can you really imagine Rosberg beating Hamilton at rain-soaked Interlagos? I can't.