Rosberg worthy F1 champion 2016?

DonPeffers

10 minutes ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Joint Essex AO said:

Nico ran Lewis off the track in Austria and had a 10 second penalty. Seem to remember Lewis running Nico off the track in Austin not so long ago and getting no penalty. As far as this championship is concerned, as others have said, it's about accumulating the most points and that's what he did.

Personally, a championship won against just one other driver doesn't really fill me with warmth. I would love to see Hamilton, Rosberg, Alonso, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Vettel, Raikonnen, Hulkenberg and maybe a few of the others who have never had a ride in which they could shine, competing on a more level playing field in terms of cars. But we know that never really happens in this formula. If the new regulations bring Red Bull and Ferrari closer to the Mercs and Honda can give McLaren an F1 engine, next year could be fun.

Anyway, I digress. Nico is a worthy champion and he will collect the trophy in a couple of weeks to prove it!

Does anyone seriously think that if we were privileged enough to see the lot of them racing the same car that Rosberg would be anywhere near? He is a fine driver but a meat and potato racer.

i would only put him ahead of hulkenberg on that list.

And of the 2 merc drivers Lewis is the more talented and braver driver.

well done to him all the same :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, benlindley said:

Does anyone seriously think that if we were privileged enough to see the lot of them racing the same car that Rosberg would be anywhere near? He is a fine driver but a meat and potato racer.

i would only put him ahead of hulkenberg on that list.

And of the 2 merc drivers Lewis is the more talented and braver driver.

well done to him all the same :)

I don't necessarily disagree, although we will never know for sure.

But at the risk of starting a thread within a thread, where would we put Hamilton in that list, over a season?

Cars totally equal Hamilton would be up there. Along with ricciardo, verstappen, maybe sainz and possibly the whinging German vettel. Then there's alonso who's probably the most all round peddler. Hulkenberg has been on form too. 

I'd place all these above rosberg who'd be lower middle field. 

I personally would 'fire' Hamilton for what he has done this season.

• Like 3

I find the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen very good to watch, Rosberg not so much.. he managed to grow a small pair of balls to overtake Verstappen although he had to be told to do so by the team.. Hamilton has his head screwed on and explored all options, I would imagine in the good old days perhaps Senna would have done the same but that would be guessing

8 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Senna would have ran him off the road!!

I was half expecting Nico to do the same thing to Lewis if he had got close enough to him. My money was  going into the first corner 

11 hours ago, BLiNK Motorsport said:

I personally would 'fire' Hamilton for what he has done this season.

That's just the sort of reaction that the whole circus is trying to provoke. To make it attractive and entertaining to viewers and sponsors there has to be excitement, drama and passion. In the modern era that sort of thing rarely comes from action on the track so they have to generate it somehow. If anyone thinks that the vast majority of what goes on isn't contrived by the teams, the managers and the PR guys then they are in denial.

Eddie Jordan makes some good points about team discipline etc but back in his day he had less to consider as a team boss. Genuine danger on the track provided the excitement and tobacco giants provided the money. It's clear from Toto Wolff's carefully chosen words that he doesn't think it's all bad!

I'm a F1 fan, did NR 'deserve' to win, probably, as been said above he's been consistent all year and not dogged by reliability, when he had the chance he made it count - Ultimately thats whats won him the title. I don't see what all the fuss about LH is all about, if we cast our memories back there's always been controversy when theres a title changing race - MS/Senna/Prost all the greats have done questionable acts to win the title. 

Taken as a whole I think the season has been a great one, revolution has to be 'mad' Max, I'm loving his attitude to not giving up, definite world champion in the making - Will he do what it takes to win a championship al la Senna/MS - Of course he will he's hungry ! 

Once the pit radio 'advice to driver rule' had gone we were back to NOT letting the driver alone find the best way to drive the car.

2016 Brazilian GP team radio transcript.

Pit Radio From Nico Rosberg Give me some feedback on brake balance from the other car on the laps to grid.
PR To Nico Rosberg On the laps to the grid Lewis did start with brake balance at 66%. He obviously moved it rearwards towards the end of his lap. He’s also got brake warming in our position, four.
PR From Nico Rosberg Well is there any chance I can start the race like that.
PR To Nico Rosberg No don’t think so. You will obviously be using the brake warming magic behind the Safety Car.
PR To Nico Rosberg OK Nico it will be a Safety Car start so starting on [wet weather tyres]. There will be no formation lap.

PR To Nico Rosberg Nico just make sure you have a look at the kerbs on these first few laps, expect there’s still water stalling those kerbs at turn three and there’s reports of water at the apex of turn two as well.

IMO Rosberg is great in qualifying and racing alone but when racing wheel to wheel and especially in wet races he has been found wanting. Still congrats to him and Mercedes will love having a multi-lingual German F1 champion promoting their products.    

At least he didn't (quite) resort to the Schumacher style of win that robbed Damon of a championship. Nico is more Prost than Senna, IYSWIM. A number of similarities between that pairing and HR/LH actually.

Hoping to see RBR make good use of the new rules and give Max & Daniel something to really take it to the Mercs next year. Equally hoping that no one team is utterly dominant. The McLaren years, then the Ferrari years, were dreadful. Certainly a danger of us heading into a Mercedes-led wilderness period too.

But to answer the OP. Yes, worthy enough. More than some, less than some others in history.

I suddenly feel more respectful to Nico.  Worked hard for the championship and with a wife and daughter thought this would be a good time to quit.  He'll have heaps of cash so just a quality of life decision IMO.