Luxury barge, opinions welcomed

corsechris

An appeal to the community.....I'm looking to replace my trusty Alfa 166 in the near future. I love that old thing but it's almost 16 years old now and starting to succumb to the moth.

I'm looking for something fairly big and sedate, properly specced up with totally unnecessary toys and gadgets. I rather fancy a Tesla S but can't bring myself to fork out the necessary so I'll be looking at used, up to 3 years old I guess.  Reasonable budget. Diesel is no good to me as most of my driving is short trips and I don't want to be replacing a DPF every 6 months. Petrol or petrol hybrid. Big power not really needed, as long as it'll pick up and hustle a bit that's fine. If I need a blast, I have the Westy. I'm sure an S8 is a wonderful thing but I've really no need for 500bhp.

Current shortlist base on very little research so far is as follows:

lexus IS 300h

Audi A8, possibly the hybrid depending on how it feels to drive. I read that it can be a bit iffy with the CVT and 4 pot motor.

Jaguar XF V6

Some kind of Mercedes (I know nothing whatsoever about mercs so will need lots of guidance on their range)

Somewhat of a random list I know...

All thoughts welcomed.

TFL

As you've mentioned Lexus can I suggest a GS450h, or if you don't mind the fuel usage a GS460 - basically the same engine as the LS460 but in a smaller body. You might struggle to find one as they only sold 150 of them.

A pal worked for Merc for over ten years up until recently so we always have "trade" chats and from what he told me they aren't that reliable!

Nick Algar has an A8 and is a big fan of it.

• Like 1

An S8 is a wonderful thing :)

3-4 year old toyed up one would be about 20K, but four tyres will set you back a grand.

Sorry probably not too much help. Nick does love his A8 and for good reason.

Thanks for those thoughts chaps, much appreciated.

@Johnson, thanks for the insider info on Mercedes, very helpful. A former colleague used to be a huge MB fan but his last new one gave him lots of trouble and he didn't much care for the dealer service either. I also know a chap who just bought one of their hybrids and he's had loads of trouble as well, and he didn't rate the dealer attitude either.

GS450h Interesting, well worth a closer look. A mate of mine has an IS and has always raved about the quality of the service he gets. The car itself has been pretty faultless in over 100k too. I had only loooked at the IS, not even considered their bigger cars, but really, the GS is probably more the ticket actually.

A8/S8 looks like a contender as well. Some of the things I've read about the hybrid are a bit off putting but I suspect there is probably a tendency to compare the H with the big power petrol cars and they are really quite different things. Only way to know would be to try both I guess.

Shortlist getting shorter!

I have just changed from a Lexus IS300h to a BMW 3 series Gran Turismo.

Dont instantly dismiss it because it is a 3 series and too small, it is almost as roomy inside as a 7 series!

The build quality is better than the Lexus IMO, and the car is well specced. I have the M Sport model.

Might be worth a look, lots of legroom inside, a large bootspace and the hatchback element makes it a very flexible car.

I am very impressed with it, but would not have even considered it before my local dealer encouraged me to sit in one and test drive it.

had a 530d tourer with big spec a few years ago - probably the best car (all rounder) I will ever have - loved it

perfect combo of effortless performance, comfort, quality, spec and a good drive for a big motor on some twistys - lot's of little detail things (like the n/s mirror angled down when reversing) that made owning it a real pleasure and the auto gearbox is superb

I test drove the equivalent audi 6 (didn't think it was as good in any respect) and had the equivalent Jaguar  XF for a day but just felt a bit old fashioned (although I think it was the 2 litre diesel as the 3 litre was just too costly with bik)

I see there's a phev 5 series coming out next year - I might have another?

Speaking of PHEVs, my next door neighbour has a Mercedes C350e which is lovely. Really well specced and comfortable. 280bhp or so i think so not too shabby in a straight line. 

There are probably a few different unusual BMWs that could be worth a look, there also seem to to 4, 5 & 6 series GT type cars that are not as popular as the main stream models and I think with the larger petrol engines early depreciation is quite heavy, (they can even be had new with quite large discounts or on very attractive lease deals).

I not sure yet about the prospect of buying a second had hybrid that I would then want to last for quite a few years. 

But then if your going to replace an Alfa reliability concerns can't be top of your list, though saying that I had a 164 for quite a few years without issue and my wife ran a 146 for 10 years with out any issues. (apart from what would be expected from any car)

I'm another fan of the A8. I've had two, a 3.7 petrol (that model would be pretty old now) and a 4.2 diesel. Both were boringly reliable, laden with workable gadgets, and very comfortable. 

I know people who love(d) their big petrol Lexi  --  but I always found them just too boring. Pretty good reliability record though :t-up:

• Like 1

I probably should look at BMW I suppose, but have to confess to a bit of reverse snobbery there....it's a cliche I know, and shouldn't really influence me, but there's the whole image thing. Then again, Audi seems to be picking up that image too these days. Can't really blame an entire marque for a few (insert your chosen epithet here) drivers though.

Can't be doing with diesels I'm afraid, just won't work with the driving I do.

As for reliability, if anything I buy is as reliable as the old 166 has been then I'll be more than satisfied. It hasn't missed a beat in 8 years of ownership. One or two minor niggles but nothing that stopped it working or let me down.

I think in general Audi has a worse reputation for Drivers now than BMW (though that's a different topic) if you are looking at the other German Premium Brands then you would be a fool to miss BMW. Besides they are much better drivers cars than Audi or Merc and ride better than Lexus which don't have too good a reputation for ride quality.  

or hand fire for a couple more years for the new Alfa saloon that's just being released. 

I think you are right there...but it's not the car at fault is it. The Alfa Giulia looks encouraging for Alfa but it's not quite what I'm looking for I don't think. The QV would be fun, but like I say, not really looking for quite that kind of a car these days.

I'll add BMW to the list as well then.

I do appreciate all the input - it's all most welcome.

Nowt against BMW  --  I left my A8s for X5s (I'm not fond of the 7-series). If you can get over the fact that other drivers seem to make a point of hating to let out an X5, it's a remarkable car. It is very spacious, comfortable (with sports seats  --  standard on M-Sport versions), handles well for a barge, and (on winter tyres) very efficient at getting across the Jura and into the alps in winter. Trouble is, you may have trouble finding a petrol after Mk1. My current (my third X5) 50i MSport pleaseth me greatly.