Which enclosed trailer to buy? PRG, BJ, Eco?

Mitchfc

Hi Everyone,

Having recently sold a PRG mini sporter enclosed trailer I am now looking at a larger replacement. Originally I was looking at a Brian James Race Sport which start at £6,750+vat I was originally choosing Brian James for the reputation and quality.

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/range_details.aspx?id=1&rid=46

http://www.eco-trailer.co.uk/trailer/velocity-enclosed-car-trailer/

Having stumbled across the Eco trailers they look like fantastic value for money they are offering a new velocity RS for £5800+vat and that comes with a tilt bed and electric winch as standard amongst other features which are extras on the Brian James and PRG and would add up to a few grand on to of the figure above on the Brian James whites already a grand more before any extras. Also I think the eco trailer looks nicer and the wheels are under the shell so when I put a caravan mover on it the movers will be protected from the elements. This also means that there is more usable width inside the eco trailer in comparison but they have a similar external width still as the Brian James has the wheels outside of the shell (obviously I know the wheels that are in the shell on the eco aren't necessarily gaining useable space because they will be boxed in but above that you gain a fair amount of space to get around the car etc) I haven't forgotten about the PRG too the trailer I had from them was well made and I liked it. Their comparative trailer would be a Trac Sporter at £6995+vat 

http://www.prgtrailers.co.uk/covered-trailers/tracsporter.php

I should add that Simon from Eco trailers told me on the phone that since the 2014 model they have upgraded the doors and hardware and the newer model is apparently much better?

Although I do want to go for the Eco mainly because of the price my main concern is of the quality of the eco trailer is it cheap for a reason or is it just a bargain? I really would like to save some money if possible but I definitely don't want to waste money on a crap, poorly built trailer. Does anyone own one or know someone who does? I'd love some feedback on the Eco trailer if possible please?

If I had time I would travel up to their factory to see one but I'm in Cornwall and it's a 6 hour 40 minute drive each way according to google? If there was anyone based in the south west who didn't mind me looking at theirs that would be great too.

Any opinions or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Mitch. 

Eco  trailer looks nice but in a tight paddock space would you be able to open the side door?

Good point...although you could open the side doors and remove the straps just before pulling into the paddock and then you shouldn't need to opening them again until you leave an event and you could do the opposite pulling out of the paddock space first then strap the wheels in a more open space before heading home perhaps?

I have a BJ RS5 which the eco is a cheaper copy of and looks very similar in the photos.  The RS5 was about £11k + VAT when they stopped making them 3 or so years ago.

I saw an Eco in a paddock and you can definitely see a big difference in quality between them.

If it is for just a Westfield it is IMHO far too big and heavy.  You really need a 3500kg towing capacity and you will really notice the fuel.

Personally I would look at the BJ sprint shuttle if you want a slightly bigger trailer.  They are very strongly build, are now wider than before and hold their value very well.  Still quite heavy but can be towed with most cars. I would not go for the tilt option.  I never used it on the Sprint Shuttle I owned.

I have gone the opposite to you and bought a PRG mini sporter for the westfield as I wanted something small and light ... even if a bit more pain to load the car.

I am not such a fan of some of the later BJ enclosed trailers as they seem to use flat panels with lots of joins and silicon rather than a nice moulded structure.

Woodford also offer some quite good enclosed trailers

I like and have a PRG Tracsporter

Thanks for the input. I did look at the BJ sprint shuttle first, the reason I preferred the BJ Race Sport is because it comes with the large side hatches so it should be easy to get the wheels straps on and off the sprint only has small doors at the front? I have only ever owned/used the PRG mini sporter with the hinged shell which actually works well because you get good access to put the straps on the wheels. I will be putting a Westfield 2000S in the trailer but it has the extra wide rear end with 10" tyres. I measured the overall width at 1740mm so was looking for an internal width of around 2m in a trailer so its not too tight. The BJ sprint has an internal width of 1900m which would give 160mm to play with (80mm each side) not having used one before I can't picture getting the straps on the wheels with only 80mm to play with and no decent side access? If the Sprint came with large sides doors I would probably go for it but not having them puts me off. 

I get what you're saying about having such an unnecessarily large trailer for a Westfield and that has crossed my mind but it seems only the larger ones tend to have the side doors but I don't want to tow a ridiculously big trailer with a 500kg car inside and a spare 1.5m in length. Thinking about I would be much better off with a smaller trailer.

I did look at the Woodford website (they fly under the radar a bit and didn't know much about them) the RL500 looks like it ticks all the boxes but at £8k+vat quite pricey. I know you get what you pay for and I do want a decent trailer which will hold its value and not fall to pieces or tow poorly.

How did you find strapping the wheels in your BJ sprint with a Westfield bare in mind mine may be 4" wider if you had 8" rear wheels?

Thanks for the help Mitch

My sprint car has 9" rears and fitted in really easily.

I just pushed it in until the front wheels hit the chocks and tied down the rears.  It was never an issue at all.  Don't forget that the body sits on and out of the side of the load bed so there is about another 2 inches to squeeze past in the trailer if needed.

I actually think Sprint Shuttle is perfect.  I only sold as it was a tad too big to get into an aisle where I stored it in my warehouse.

Terry do you have the XW Trac Sporter? I was looking on their website again and noticed the XW has the large sides doors as standard. I am not fussed about the tilt bed that much it's just comes as standard with the eco trailer. I had a feeling the quality wasn't there with the eco trailers because they seem to cheap and something that seems to good to be true usually is. The last thing I want to do is regret buying it after purchasing. 

We should of swapped trailers by the sounds of it. When you had your Westy in the BJ sprint were you able to squeeze past the car when it was in the trailer to get something out of the front if you needed to?

No 

Mine is about 6 years old and is tilt bed with front access door and rear ramp.

I have wide rear arches and 9.2" slicks and it fits in easily. I have a full tyre  rack and storage space at front and can easily strap down all the wheels and I can get past the car at the sides 

• Like 1

I have the XW Trac Sporter which I bought new at the beginning of this year. It's the best trailer I have had and that's after a couple of sprint shuttles and RS3 clamshell. Quality and usability is excellent. Not too heavy, yet can take some big cars. Highly recommended. Speak to Richard at PRW

Unless you are in a hurry maybe wait until Autosport when you should be able to see all of them in one place.

Unless you are in a hurry maybe wait until Autosport when you should be able to see all of them in one place.

Good suggestion, also deals to be had there  :d  :d

Thanks for all of the advice guys. When and where is the Autosport event? As I have sold my PRG mini sporter which was my garage for the Westy it doesn't have a home at present but I am able to store it in a storage container temporarily if the autosport show isn't too far away? Do they do show deals?

Auto sport is January but lead time on most new trailers will be 2 months plus. Prg certainly give show discount if you ask. BJ are a bit tougher to negotiate with ;-)