Taking your car to Iceland (country)

litcoat

Alright all, as the title says, has anyone done it, I thought there may be some ferry from somewhere in Scotland but all I can find is a ferry from Denmark,

Cheers Mark

Mom's always shop at Iceland

sorry i'll get my cost :getmecoat:

You need more than your coat for that comment.................... shocking  :angry:  :laugh:  :d

You need more than your coat for that comment.................... shocking  :angry:  :laugh:  :d

:cry:  :cry: :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  

Bear in mind national speed limit is 55mph and is rigidly enforced with big fines as I know from personal experience.  Also bear in mind that many of the most spectacular roads are gravel ones and for the really spectacular ones you definitely need a 4x4.  4x4 hire is quite expensive there though - with all the bells and whistles you're looking at c. £600 per week for the likes of a Vitara

Autocar did a recent trip around iceland in an MX5 and they enjoyed it.

thought about doing Denmark, Sweden and Norway instead?

• Like 1

I thought about that. Then I look at how long it would take! It was a week and half to get to the arctic circle..

In my experience Norway is great roads,  Sweden OK but Denmark a bit boring

You used to ne able to take a boat from Newcastle to Bergen but it may have stopped running recently

Probably the easy option, fly there and hire a car, won't be as much fun being stuck in a tin top, I thought there must be some sort of ferry from the UK, likely not.

Thanks for your replies

Mark

Don't know when you are planning to go but I would not have wanted to be in the Westi when I went (mid April), it was very cold, with an icy wind that would cut straight through you and at times we traveled through several inches of snow. All the cars had studded ties and I was glad we were in a 4 wheel drive (VW Tiguan). It was brill and I'm glad we went when we did with very changeable weather, (there is an Icelandic saying, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes, it was true)  it helped to make a for truly memorably holiday. I guess at the correct time of the year with the correct weather gear driving around in an open top could be memorable also.