NASA LIES and other musings....

Mulder

Reason we ain't been back is extremely simple. The world is skint. End of.

We continue to research our oceans, forests, poles, deserts etc because they are relatively easy and inexpensive to explore and they have a huge impact on us as humans. How really does the moon affect us on a day to day basis? What really do we need to know on a molecular level? We're making a right pigs ear of this planet in places let's leave the rest of the galaxy alone.

3 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Reason we ain't been back is extremely simple. The world is skint. End of.

The major global economies are richer than they have ever been! As stated earlier; going back to the moon should be relatively cheap with the massive advancement in technology since 1969 (Can't remember my parents using mobile phones and laptops etc).

We choose to spend billions on illegal wars at present and send people to the international space station - why is that so if the research is a waste of time?

We don't go back because we can't - that's the simple answer.

It took eleven years to develop the Eurofighter but NASA managed a moon landing in less than eight years with a tiny amount of the technology available for design that the Eurofighter had!

..............Remember that in 1961 when Kennedy announced to the world about going to the moon by the end of the Decade NASA hadn't even orbited earth with an astronaut - Shepard had only just completed a 15 minute low orbital flight - it was almost a year later before John Glenn navigated the Globe for a mere 3 times; by which time the Russians were 18 months ahead of them!

9 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

, the first person to blame the Nazis automatically looses any debate

Wehrner von Braun - designer of the Saturn space rocket and hailed as a hero in America:

Involvement with the Nazi regime

Party membership

Von Braun had an ambivalent and complex relationship with the Nazi regime of the Third Reich. He officially applied for membership in the Nazi Party on November 12, 1937 and was issued with membership number 5,738,692

Membership in the Allgemeine SS

Von Braun joined the SS horseback riding school on 1 November 1933 as an SS-Anwärter. He left the following year

In 1940, he again joined the SS and was given the rank of "Untersturmfuehrer" (lieutenant) in the Allgemeine SS.

..........Just goes to show how corrupt administrations can be; the land where millions of political prisoners fled during WW11 accepted a scientist who had been part of that persecution at Peenemunde. They accepted him with open arms and saved him from war crimes tribunals??

5 hours ago, BLiNK Motorsport said:

Wehrner von Braun - designer of the Saturn space rocket and hailed as a hero in America:

..........Just goes to show how corrupt administrations can be; the land where millions of political prisoners fled during WW11 accepted a scientist who had been part of that persecution at Peenemunde. They accepted him with open arms and saved him from war crimes tribunals??

von Braun was a rocket motor designer, saying he designed the Saturn 5 is pushing it a bit as you don't mention Arthur Rudolph, nor all the other engineers/scientists.

I don't think it is corrupt to utilise expertise, belonging to a popular political party of the time has got now't to do wi'ow't, I don't see you making the same statement about Ferdinand Porsche, member of the Nazi Party and suspected of being an SS officer.

Please expand on why von Braun as a civilian scientist designing a weapon is a war criminal, yes there were atrocities at the nearby concentration camp, from which Peenemunde drew some of it's low skilled labour, but can von Braun be directly linked to it?  I also notice you don't mention von Braun's involvement in US Ballistic Missile design which in some peoples eyes (CND supporters) makes him a criminal but for "our side".

Picking and choosing "facts" doesn't really present a balanced discussion, does it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BLiNK Motorsport said:

The major global economies are richer than they have ever been!

Really. I was under the impression that all the major economies were operating with huge deficits. The US alone has a deficit of 500ish billion.

6 hours ago, BLiNK Motorsport said:

It took eleven years to develop the Eurofighter but NASA managed a moon landing in less than eight years with a tiny amount of the technology available for design that the Eurofighter had!

Correct. But look at the on board tech. The euro fighter has infinitly more technology on board with an astounding amount of software. It was also designed to operate across several operating platforms with umpteen weaponry systems. It was also built during the health and safety era. Do you honestly think that spacecraft of that era would pass today's h & s rules and rigorous testing programmes? It's like asking why can't we build a 747 as quickly as a lancaster bomber. Your comparing apples with pears.

• Like 1

I had no intention of getting deeply embroiled in this, but nobody I know has any idea how sand, grit, and dust behaves in a vacuum. It certainly will not float about, and will certainly fall rapidly to the surface. In the picture of the lander foot, I detect radial traces where rocket blast would shift dust. There is NO other reason why dust should do this in a windless, airless environment. Now, back to the real world... 

We designed and built Concord along with the French, and it was a magnificent achievement in all sorts of ways. But nobody flies a supersonic passenger plane now, nor builds one. Why? Because it would be eye wateringly expensive and prohibitively so.

Maybe the same reasoning is why we don't have Americans or Russians going to the moon now? 

This is getting really silly now. There is no doubt that men went to the Moon. It was done in an era of fear and suspicion and if you read many of the history books a lot of technology was being rushed to keep in front of those damm Ruskies. In the late 50's and early 60's the US were develpoing a nuclear powered plane as they believed that Russian had one, it never flew but they sunk billions into it and got an engine running.

So when Kennedy said what he did it was for many reasons, but the main one was they did not want Russian to be in front in space. 

The reality is Russia were never really in front after the Saturn 5 rockets were built, the the shuttle. Now with co operation in space with the Russians providing transport to the space station there is no need to go there.

Now watch what happens if China get a viable method of getting to planets, you will see funding for NASA get approved pretty sharpish.

There are massive social problems in the US and for any president to be giving NASA a blank check is now unthinkable but that is exactly what Kennedy did in the 60's. There are so many other conspiracy theories really worth considering, (who killed Dianna) but this is not one of them. 

It is in our nature to explore and as technology grows we will travel to other worlds but at the moment it is man who is not up to the task of surviving in good health the length of journey it will need. Mars is definitely going to get men on it hopefully in my life time. 

• Like 1

Recently saw ITV, John Pilger's 'Coming war on China' which detailed Pilger's perspective that America is trying to hem in China and control the Pacific area. It mapped all the USA military bases around the world to show China surrounded and within ballistic missile range.

Given how keen America is to set up military bases why not have the ultimate one on the Moon? 

3 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

This is getting really silly now. There is no doubt that men went to the Moon.

There is a huge amount of doubt! I don't think they went and 33% of their own country don't think they went either - infact with all the conflicting evidence I'm still surprised that many do beleive we landed a man on the moon!

7 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

but nobody I know has any idea how sand, grit, and dust behaves in a vacuum. 

I think the video of the lunar rover is supposed to show how the huge amount of dust kicked up by it shows this - obviously I believe this took place on earth.

4 out of 10 Americans don't believe in evolution favouring the creationism argument so 33% not believing in the moon landings isn't really that great an argument.

lets face it we probably haven't been back because what's the point its an airless pointless place. much easier to chuck a few bombs around down here and control the oil fields.

Right, this thread is going nowhere as fast as a Saturn V rocket.  It is clear that strong views are held, that arguments on both sides will never sway the opposite sides, and further input is not only pointless but damaging.  Believe whatever you like, but like every Internet thread on the subject, it won't get definitively answered here.  This thread is therefore being closed, and unless there is a major revelation in the news, any further threads will be locked and hidden.

• Like 2

• Captain Colonial locked this topic