The West Coast of Scotland Trip 2017. Dates booked.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Cool

8.45 ferry sailing it looks like.

It looks lovely. I am sure we will be able to sort something for a night or 2. Got a few must do's on the trip south after Orkney, Loch ness, Culloden Battlefield near Inverness and the boss wants a night in Aviemore, then got to fit in Battle of Bannockburn, Falkirk wheel etc before a 2 night stop in Edinburgh then on to Holy Island.

Are you just chillin in killin or are days out blatting planned so I can see if can work round it and add some more miles to this great adventure. :d

Ali

Hi Ali.

I have a few trips in my mind but lets look at including whatever we can that everyone else wants to do.

Also hoping to go the seaplane flight on Isle of Skye but keep having problems trying to sort it out online.

Myself and GaryT were in Avimore last year and within minutes of his holiday starting, he almost got wiped out by this woman in a car.

Depending on the route south from Orkney if we go through Golspie a must stop even for a photo and a look from the gardens is Dunrobin castle (brownie points with the ladies) as it is a fairytale chateau type castle

And yes "that" lady caused a heart flutter but these things are sent to try us :)

Ali if you are having a stop over on Aviemore you have got to go up cairngorm and do the funicular to the top (pics please Geoffrey)

Struggling to get any info on the Skye seaplane trips, so phoned them

They are not taking bookings yet and have not finalised prices yet for next year

This years prices were 149 with a refund if cancelled or 129 with no refund option

Route, water landing are at the pilots discretion on the day , the plane seats 10 pilot included and he allocates seats prior to flight

I have asked them to contact me once they are taking bookings / finalised costs

• Like 1

Here you go chaps.

This is the funicular.

If you turn up your volume then you can hear the commentary. 

What I found surprising was that if you went up the funicular then you could not walk on the mountain as you had not earned the right.

Nice museum to the mountains at the top with a good cafe.

• Like 1

Geoffrey,

Sadly I missed your Scottish trip this year, but three of the Wirral and North Wales crew managed four days in September. We stayed in Fort Augustus, Lochinver, Durness and Fort William. Great time, great roads, we did the Glenelg ferry to Skye, what an experience. Also the "wee mad road" from Ullapool to Lochinver. Didn't realise my Westie could go so far between petrol stations!

Next year we have booked the 11th to the 15th of June so again we won't be able to join up with you, sorry. Following your posts with interest though. Keep up the good work.

John.

• Like 1

Struggling to get any info on the Skye seaplane trips, so phoned them

They are not taking bookings yet and have not finalised prices yet for next year

This years prices were 149 with a refund if cancelled or 129 with no refund option

Route, water landing are at the pilots discretion on the day , the plane seats 10 pilot included and he allocates seats prior to flight

I have asked them to contact me once they are taking bookings / finalised costs

Thats brilliant Garry. 

Keep us posted.

Geoffrey,

Sadly I missed your Scottish trip this year, but three of the Wirral and North Wales crew managed four days in September. We stayed in Fort Augustus, Lochinver, Durness and Fort William. Great time, great roads, we did the Glenelg ferry to Skye, what an experience. Also the "wee mad road" from Ullapool to Lochinver. Didn't realise my Westie could go so far between petrol stations!

Next year we have booked the 11th to the 15th of June so again we won't be able to join up with you, sorry. Following your posts with interest though. Keep up the good work.

John.

Hi John.

I was hoping we could have met this trip.....However there is always the one after.

Regarding the petrol. I worried the first year and now I realise there is no need to worry. There are plenty of stations. What did very nearly catch me out last year was the one at Tongue closing on a Saturday dinner time.

As this is our first trip round Scotland I don't think we realised how much there is to see and do so I am going to extend our time up there.

The sea Plane is a must if we can, count us in on that if possible please.

How many peeps are there going to be heading from Orkney to Killin. I can then decide whether to take a detour for a night at Aviemore on the journey south then on to Killin or double back up after fun and frolics there. Funicular railway is a must for us.

John

At this rate we may will still be up there!

At the moment there is only me at Killin but the holiday is still a number of months away so that will change hopefully.

There is so much to see and last year myself and Gary must have travelled on the same stretch of road that was around 40 miles long at least a dozen times. We just could not keep away from it and every time it was always so different.

I always try to get the first breakfast and then we are out all day and evening and its fair to say we only go to the hotel to sleep.

The last thing I want to do is sit in a pub as you can do that at home.

Take a pair of walking boots.

Really want to do the sea plane and if the tide is right on Skye I would absolutely love to do this....http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5115

On average we do between 250 to 350 miles a day and that includes all the stops.

Agreed, a well earned meal and a beer to cap a good days driving and a yomp is what its all about. You can rest when you go back to work! :d

That looks a great walk to.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Do we need to pre book the Scrabster Ferry or is it arrive and go.

Ali

Ps

What time sailing out on the 3rd and return time on the 5th

Ali and Gail

hi Ali not sure if it is pre book I will try and call them and see what they recommend I think earlier we decided on the 8.45 sailing going over and I would envisage the early crossing coming back as I think Geoffrey wanted to see the castle o may the queen mothers highland home, then it is a fair run down to inverness and onwards

are you headed to Killin or doing loch ness / aviemore on the way south?

Gary