The West Coast of Scotland Trip 2017. Dates booked.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Geoff sounds like your having a whale of a time! Just wished my dates lined up to yours when I went last weekend. Went right round west coast, turned south at Thurso. 

Next time you go look up a place called First Coast. There's a viewpoint over a seal colony I stumbled across. Amazing.. 

I went over the Lecht too, amazing road, done that a few times now, doesn't get any better than that. Just watch your fuel before you go.. Its a long way between stations. Big rain here since yesterday heading your way, looks like it will ease maybe tomorrow

Enjoy

• Like 3

@Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO Glen says your throttle cable might be too tight. Exactly the same thing happened to Trevor when we were at Blyton, I hope it is that because it is an easy fix.

Chin up @Ali Jones suns out tomorrow :t-up:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

@Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO Glen says your throttle cable might be too tight. Exactly the same thing happened to Trevor when we were at Blyton, I hope it is that because it is an easy fix.

Chin up @Ali Jones suns out tomorrow :t-up:

Not too tight, we checked that too :t-up:

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice on the throttle cable @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO

@tex We passed the signs for first and second coast and will definitely have a look next time.

We did see a seal on Orkney as he was sat out of the water for hours.

Would love too have seen a colony.

I didn't see much of the Lecht as it was pouring down but have done it before. I did see a herd of deer though which was brilliant.

We need to get our dates correct next year.

• Like 4

Geoff as a spare you can use a rear gear inner cable from a mountain bike, just check you have a. The cable at the pedal has a cable clamp. You can use an electrical choc block connector, chop one section off, peel off the plastic leaving two brass screw clamps. Then feed the cable in from the engine end, let the pedal be at its highest point, pull cable tight making sure it's seated everywhere properly and clamp off at the pedal. Keep a spare cable and brass clamp in a tin with fuses and bulbs, tape the tins edges with electrian tape which can double as a wire insulation if needed (thumbs up) 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO you sent me on a route last year between Alston and Kielder Cafe.

Could you tell me it again please as I am just looking at my route home.

It sent us past Hadrian's Wall.

here you go -

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 07.14.23.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6hlwafpgg0ib7f/kielder-alston.gpx?dl=0 GPX file (Garmin & newer TomTom) 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cze9gbt8i39d8l/kielder-alston.itn?dl=0 ITN file (older TomTom)

What a lovely way to wake up.

Slept in a super comfortable four poster bed and this is the view a couple of minutes ago from my bedroom window.

The waterfalls are magnificent.

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

• Like 4

Wow, what a view!

2 minutes ago, tex said:

Where did you stay Geoff? Looks topper! 

It certainly does, like most of the hotels you've found.

• Like 1

That hotel is....The Falls of Dochart Inn at Killin.

Ask for room 6.

Plenty of parking, clean rooms, comfy bed and good food.

I took a bit of film today for you so I will cobble something together for you to see.

This is what I took of the falls last year and the white building is the Inn.

had a lovely day today and unfortunately its our last day as we go home tomorrow.

Had a drive down the "rural" side of Loch Tay looking for red squirrels then it was time to stop in Aberfeldy to pick up cakes as a treat for later on.

Then headed over to Pitlochry which is a one stop, shopping mecca for rich tourists.

On we went to Tummel Bridge which has the most lovely power station at the side of the road, and is in the middle of no-where.

We had an Indiana Jones moment at a suspension bridge where we stopped to look for salmon.

From here we headed over on some of my favourite roads to Ben Lawers Dam via Bridge of Balgie.

If you like views and twisty roads at 20mph then this is the road for you.

We stopped at the dam for our cakes and then headed over to the Mc-Nab burial ground where the clan chiefs are buried.

The magic has gone from the place now and the landscapers have really opened up the island and it does not have the same aire of mystery about it.

As I type this, my bedroom window is open, the sun is shining and I am sat listening and looking at the waterfalls.

I really don't want to go home.

Screen_Shot_2017-06-07_at_17_26_04.png

Screen_Shot_2017-06-07_at_17_12_57.png

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

had a lovely day today and unfortunately its our last day as we go home tomorrow.

Had a drive down the "rural" side of Loch Tay looking for red squirrels then it was time to stop in Aberfeldy to pick up cakes as a treat for later on.

Then headed over to Pitlochry which is a one stop, shopping mecca for rich tourists.

On we went to Tummel Bridge which has the most lovely power station at the side of the road, and is in the middle of no-where.

We had an Indiana Jones moment at a suspension bridge where we stopped to look for salmon.

From here we headed over on some of my favourite roads to Ben Lawers Dam via Bridge of Balgie.

If you like views and twisty roads at 20mph then this is the road for you.

We stopped at the dam for our cakes and then headed over to the Mc-Nab burial ground where the clan chiefs are buried.

The magic has gone from the place now and the landscapers have really opened up the island and it does not have the same aire of mystery about it.

As I type this, my bedroom window is open, the sun is shining and I am sat listening and looking at the waterfalls.

I really don't want to go home.

Screen_Shot_2017-06-07_at_17_26_04.png

Screen_Shot_2017-06-07_at_17_12_57.png

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

Can't believe we started this road trip 13 days ago with lovely @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO and Glen in the Peaks district and we will tomorrow say good bye some where in the Pennines to the legend that is @Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO who we have made many great memories with and not forgetting @ziplob and @Garyt who have also become our friends and added so much to this fantastic trip exploring the wonderful country that is Scotland and the Orkneys.

Love to you all

Monkey, Midge and Mrs P

X

• Like 3