Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

Whether you can use a crane will depend on whether the crane/car dimensions allow it.  I'd think it will be heavy for two of you to handle, but I'm sure you'll come up with some way of getting it out (make a ramp to slide it down, take some of the strain on a jack as it comes out the boot??).

As an alternative, couldn't you just take the Mondeo's engine out and put that in the Westfield?!  You can worry about what to do with the Mondeo afterwards...

It's going to be a brilliant project to get stuck into.

• Like 1

I've lifted a few XE's in and out of estate car boots in the past, with just one other pair of hands to help. As long as you're more or less lifting from one similar height to another, it's not so bad as you'd expect.

I've not really been able to crane one directly out of an estate, but did once get an XE out of the back of a five series touring, without damaging the car, on my own with just an engine crane to assist; I couldn't get the jib in far enough to lift the engine properly, but with enough old blankets and cardboard to protect the boot, I could sort of slide then engine right up to the lip, while bracing it somewhat with the crane - the crane was pulling on an angle, so sort of dragging as much as anything. I then just rigged up some sturdy support, the same heights as the boot opening and manhandled the engine out on to it, with the crane steadying it. Pulled the car forward, so that the tailgate was clear, then I could use the crane to lift it off the make shift bench in the normal manor. :d not pretty, but it worked!

• Like 1

I bet you could hire a small van for about £25 for the half a day you will need it for 

• Like 1

I dropped mine on an old bread create trolley with wheels & strapped it down so I could move it around.

You can see it here:

17B0ADB1-9D14-49BA-AA5A-4362879ACFCC_zps

To unload, just unstrap from the back of Mondeo, tie engine top and bottom to something convenient and firmly located on the drive/house, wrap it in an old quilt, put an old mattress on floor preferably under the rear of the car up to the rear wheels, and accelerate like you're on a drag strip, engine will just plop out - easy.

Can i video it please?

• Like 1

I found the easiest way to lift the engine out of the boot or carry it around the garage is to make two rope strops and use a length of wood (old fence post will do as long as it's not rotten :o ) and then put the rope strops under / around the engine and over the post and then carry it around like they used to carry dead buffalo's !! :)  - should be especially easy as both of you are over 8 foot  :d

• Like 1

Great responses guys. Quite like the simplicity of Colin's suggestion, and with a building site opposite my home, I'll be spending the quiet hours of Sunday checking the 'merchandise' ;)

Remembered something useful when using a "clockwork" wiring harness when going to efi.

Might not be the same but mine needed a diode wiring in to the ignition warning light to stop it back feeding and thus keeping power to the ECU after you switch off the ignition.

Remembered something useful when using a "clockwork" wiring harness when going to efi.

Might not be the same but mine needed a diode wiring in to the ignition warning light to stop it back feeding and thus keeping power to the ECU after you switch off the ignition.

I've no idea what clockwork wiring is, but I am hopeful I will find out what the ins and outs are with regards to the MBE ECU is when it comes to connecting to my wiring. I will probably re-do a lot of the wiring as I was never really happy how it ended up last winter. My ignition on/alternator light is on a relay as I found it not nicely working using the 'old fashioned bulb' method with my replacement led.

After I blew the Zetec in my old Westfield, I had to put it in the astravan from work and take it to my mates to get the head  back on, as he had all his tools in the his workshop. Engine rebuilt and brought back to home. I enlisted the help of a neighbour and I wiggled the engine the the rear edge of the car. The engine stand frame was still on the block, so the plan was to lift it out and put on the floor. We actually lifted out and stuck it in the engine bay on top of the trolley jack and steel plate. We then just stuck it on the gearbox and bolted in. All going good.

Next day, I found my back wasnt good. In fact I couldnt stand up and spent the day lying on the lounge floor as it was the most comfortable way to rest. The wife told me to 'not go near that bl**** car' I got bored and would shuffle out the house on my hands and knees and crawl in the garage and then being the westie was at a decent working height for someone with a duff back, started connecting it back up. By day three, my back was getting better, although the wife wasnt impressed to see the car magically start and run  :d

This story was brought to you sponsored by Codeine !!

• Like 2

Clockwork is just away of saying old points and coil system :)

I have a Zetec with MBE ECU so shout up when the time comes.

For moving (very) heavy stuff around my garage - I use these, they are far more capable than they look!

I have used one for a 200Kg boiler - they are more than up to the job for a zetec / crossflow.

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00324/tool-cart-300kg/dp/TL10580?MER=e-bb45-00001001

Free postage as well.

Good luck,

Dave.