Looking for a 2.0l Westfield (Duratec preferred but open to suggestions)

Roundthebend

Hi all,

New member after a few months of lurking. I'm looking to buy my first Wesrfield for road and occasional track use ........preferably a 2l Duratec (but very open to alternatives) with 200+ bhp. It needs to be quick as its replacing my motorbike (she's finally won the argument!). Looking for a solid car that's great fun on the roads but also a capable car on the track which I might get into in future. Reliability and build quality is key, I'm not bad with a set of spanners but would prefer to be driving than fixing. Decent budget for the right car. I've been looking for a few months, missed out on a few and not keen on buying an unknown from outside the club. Cheers, Karl

Can't help with the car Karl but greetings from another Chesterfield resident...

Karl don't get too hung up on big power, mines got 185bhp and is a shed load of fun. Can't see anyone using more power on the road but track and sprints would be different I guess.

I gave up sports bikes after a 35 year love affair and am totally happy in the Westy. It's fantastic!

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I'm just concerned that lower power will not excite me. I'm a noob to this. I guess you're absolutely right as I'll be using 90% on the road.

You need to try a few, really. And do try them from all ends of the spectrum.

Also, be honest with yourself when it comes to what appealed on a bike!

We have loads of members that have successfully and enjoyably made the transition from two to four wheels. Plenty like Chris are very pleased with the character of their cars as he described.

But I do know quite a few that have dipped their toe in with relatively standard Zetecs etc and found it just doesn't give them what they were looking for at those power levels. (Though sometimes, it's the rawness as much as out and out power).

Don't forget their are also bike engined cars to consider, if you do want something at the raw end of the scale.

Otherwise, try and view the cars as a complete package; their are plenty of mid powered cars out there, that thanks to carefully upgrading and handling mods can be way faster point to point than some of the big headline figure cars! Equally, there are some big figure V8's that might not be the fastest cross country, but are awesome, none the less!

Try and see as many different kinds of Westfield as you can!

good advice from Dave.

I made the transition from 2 to 4 wheel leisure-time toy too.  My last bike was a Ducati 900.

I test drove the factory 150bhp demonstrator and was quite underwhelmed. I then had a passenger ride in their S2000 demonstrator and it blew my negativity away.

blag a few rides/demos

Happy to take you out in mine as your local :)

Hi Karl,

Welcome to the club and to the Peak District area. We meet most weekends so if you try and come along to one of our meetings you will hopefully get to see a wide variety of cars. The Derby/Notts meet is not too far away either.

Hope to see you soon

Julie

Dave has a very good point about looking at what appealed about bikes.

For me it was all about corners. Top end never interested me - I've done the autobahns flat out on 1000cc bikes and was underwhelmed.

I love the way my car does corners and boots out of them. So big power isn't a prerequisite and although I'd not be too happy with less than what I have I don't feel the need for much more right now.

[EDIT] - I reserve the right to revise this statement after my first track day at Blyton in a couple of weeks though!

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm not too interested in top end speed just like Chris it's more the feeling of power out of the corners.

I'll definitely come along to one of the next club meetings. RussH I,d love to come and have a ride out in yours. Will send over a PM.

Really helpful, thanks all

Come and see lots of Westfields at the Blyton track day and Sat/Sun sprint on 8th, 9th and 10th July. Spectating and camping are free. You will see some quickish road going cars at the track day and some extremely quick sprint cars on Sat/Sun Including about 30 Westfields

You spec sounds good to me. Don't go any less or you'll be kicking your self

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.